Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts

CONTACTS vs. GLASSES

I had super vision until about 48.
    I got glasses prior to last season and I realized what a pain in the back side they can be.
    I had some real trouble last season in the rain.

Did I mention I'm on the "Wet" side of Oregon?

During my annual eye check I told the Doc (who happen to be a bow hunter) that I was thinking about contacts just for hunting. Not sure how this is going to work out I can't wear them at my desk (computer is blurry) and if using contacts now I can't wear my prescription Maui Jims

Anyways for those of you who have done both, please let me know your thoughts.
    I'd really like to know any drawbacks to contacts (cold, rain…. whatever).

Thanks
    Last edited by OregonJim; 08-03-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    I had super vision until about 48.
    I got glasses prior to last season and I realized what a pain in the back side they can be.
    I had some real trouble last season in the rain.

Did I mention I'm on the "Wet" side of Oregon?

During my annual eye check I told the Doc (who happen to be a bow hunter) that I was thinking about contacts just for hunting. Not sure how this is going to work out I can't wear them at my desk (computer is blurry) and if using contacts now I can't wear my prescription Maui Jims

Anyways for those who you have done both, please let me know your thoughts.
    I'd really like to know any drawbacks to contacts (cold, rain…. whatever).

Thanks
    I have wore "extended wear" contacts for about 10 years now. I wear them 24 hrs a day for a month, then throw them away and put in a new set for the next month. I also use some cheap Walmart reading glasses and for the computer also. I love my contacts! As a competitive shooter, I think I see & shoot better with them. I can also wear non prescription, off the shelf sun glasses. They are very comfortable and give me not trouble at all.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    The only problem I have had with contacts is I wear the kind you take out every night, that can be a pain in the butt when you are backpacked in. The worst is when it is real cold out and they freeze in the solution, not good. I can't shoot my bow with glasses so the contacts are the only way to go for me. I am going to have to try the extended wear sounds like a lot better way to deal with contacts in the backcountry.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I Agree with CC. I tend to even wear them longer than a month. Only thing ive worried about with wearing them while hunting is if a limb or something were to hit my face/eye and pop one out. I always make sure I have a spare one with me. As far as them freezing I just put the spare in my pants or shirt pocket, were there is enough body heat to keep it from freezing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_guy View Post
    I Agree with CC. I tend to even wear them longer than a month. Only thing ive worried about with wearing them while hunting is if a limb or something were to hit my face/eye and pop one out. I always make sure I have a spare one with me. As far as them freezing I just put the spare in my pants or shirt pocket, were there is enough body heat to keep it from freezing.
    My eyes really are what tells me I need new ones. Sometimes its 3 1/2 weeks, sometimes 5 weeks. You are spot on with everything else.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Never thought about freezing in the container.

The doc didn't offer the extended wear. I think he wants to see if these 30 day (waking hours), version has promise.
    I am having enough trouble getting the things in when I am wide awake can't wait to try at 0400 before coffee.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jim, I have had to deal with both for years now. For the most part it is not bad but it is a pain to take them out and then fight getting them back in when you're half awake. Where they really make the effort worth it is when it is cold and raining and not having to fight your glasses fogging up and cleaning water spots from the lenses. They are also nice when you are glassing as you are not fighting holding your bino's in just the right spot on your glasses so you can see well.

The biggest challenge for me is just getting used to wearing them again because like you, I sit in front of a computer all day long and cannot wear them. The biggest challenge really is getting used to sticking your finger in your eye and when you do start, make sure your hands are really clean because you do not want an eye infection ruining your hunt.

One suggestion is if the weather is hot, dry and the wind is blowing, it might be helpful to carry some eye drops as your eyes will dry out quickly, at least for me but when it's cold and wet, you will never know you are wearing them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magnum12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    There are a lot of good points here as usual. I think contacts in general are better than glasses because they seem to help with the peripheral vision for me better. They also don't have the glare like a scope in the sun, you don't have to wipe the sweat and rain and dirt off them all the time. Bringing glasses for a spare might be a good idea in case you do get some dirt behind them, the solution freezes up, or something else like that. I can't where the extended wear contacts because of pretty severe astigmatism, but after awhile you get pretty good at taking them in and out. It can still be kindof a pain backpacking or whatever, though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks gentlemen for the helpful comments
    Life member RMEF

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 9 Posts
    I bring glasses as back up. I use daily wear contacts. Freezing is an issue, so I will put them in a pocket of my base layer when out hunting if below freezing. At night they go in the sleeping bag with me. It's not fun putting ice slush or almost frozen solution on your eye to start the day!