Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Solar charger vs. powerpack

Jon Adam's "Don't leave tech behind" article on the front page is exactly what I have been wondering about. I just upgraded to a smartphone and I am trying to figure out if a solar charge is worth the hassle and expenses as opposed to a high mAh power pack (something that has 9000-11000 mAhs on it, good for 3-4 charges). I generally out in the back country for less than a six day period, and I don't plan on having my phone running the entire time.

What is everyone using to keep their electronics running in the back country?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Good thread....I was just wondering the same thing today. I have a power pack from Verizon that is really awesome. But I'm not sure its up to a trip over a 5+ day period. My phone is almost 2 years old and the battery life is horrible. I'd really like some feedback on a solar charger unit. That may be the ticket for extended stays away from a power source.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    I use an Anker Astro 5600 mAh. It weighs about 4 ounces, and will charge my iPhone 2.5 times. Going in with a fully charged battery would allow you 7 days, if you only used 50% of your battery each day.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Solar charger vs. powerpack

I use a new Trent battery pack. Imp1000 is the model. Can't remember the weight off hand but light and I can get 5-6 charges on iPhone 4
    Last edited by Caseyu; 08-04-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    No cell service where I hunt but if brought my phone I would opt for a power pack. They are easy to carry and easy to pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, I went with the New Trent PowerPax Xtreme (in orange, like to be able to see it if I set it down some where), 1200mAh power pack. I have ten days of backpacking starting on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes when I return.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoSkies View Post
    Well, I went with the New Trent PowerPax Xtreme (in orange, like to be able to see it if I set it down some where), 1200mAh power pack. I have ten days of backpacking starting on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes when I return.
    Hey man....just a heads up. 1200mAh won't get you much. Mine is 4000 and I get about a charge and a half out of it. I'd hate for you to get on your trip and need an emergency charge and not have it. Good luck!

I looked at a 15,000 mAh unit this morning on amazon that had really good reviews. I think I'll buy it today. Id
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just looked that New Trent unit up. Its 12,000!!!!! Now we're talking. Let us know how it goes please. I was concerned when you said 1200. In really interested in its performance.
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a small Goal Zero solar panel, it will only bring my Iphone up to about 60%. It is good for recharging AA's and AAA batteries for my Gps- just not enough oomph to fully charge the Iphone. For the phones the power packs appear better. My Iphone battery life is really poor in marginal to nonexistant cell areas when it is searching for a signal. God bless ya'll

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have tried to work with the goal zero panel, but i think the battery pack is the better way to go as long there is an end in site to your hunt.