Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shooting sticks

I did a search on the forum and didn't turn up much information regarding what shooting sticks folks are using. There were a couple threads mentioning Stoney point and the Bog Pod, but looking for a bit more info before I make a decision.

So, I'm asking the Eastman's brethren for more suggestions and guidance with respect to what you're currently using.

Thanks!

Graybird
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tagged....as I am in the market as well.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive used a bi-pod mounted on my gun for the last couple years. Has worked alright but has some down sides. Adds a little weight to gun and tends to dig into your shoulder when carrying your gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_guy View Post
    Ive used a bi-pod mounted on my gun for the last couple years. Has worked alright but has some down sides. Adds a little weight to gun and tends to dig into your shoulder when carrying your gun.
    Thanks, WI-guy! I, too, have the gun mounted bipeds of varying sizes. My biggest issue with them is at times (seems almost most) they are not ideal, and as you stated add considerable weight.

I would prefer a separate set of sticks versus those attached to my rifle.
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got a set of the Stoney Point sticks a couple years ago and like them pretty well. They worked especially well last year when I had to take a shot from a standing position. Before that I just used sticks I made from a couple wood dowels, drill a hole 4-5" from one end and tie together with a piece of shoelace--for quite a while I was prone to being a little forgetful and it was way less painful when I left the wood dowel sticks laying out in the woods somewhere (I guess maybe if you follow me around for long enough you might come away with a free pair of Stoney Point sticks).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    build your own, better than anything on the market, quicker setup/adjust too.

Perhaps I should just build these and market them?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I use Stoney point as well. I use the Pole Cat I believe is the name. It has a quick release and At&T hment that mounts to the front sling eye and has a eye for the sling to attach to. Works great. I keep the sticks in my pack. When I'm ready to shoot or just set my gun down I snap them on the gun and good to go.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i just bought the Bog Pod Super steady combo. Haven't hunted with it yet obviously but i've put my gun on it and I think I am really going to like it. It comes with the regular v shaped shooting rest. it also comes with this for longer / steadier shots. It has two velcro strips that you can use to strap the gun in pretty tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extreme shooting rest.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	10205
    Last edited by brushcreek; 08-05-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Do you carry a spotting scope? If so just pop the scope off the tripod and use it. You will get better groups off of a tripod vs a bipod. The thrid legs give a much more solid rest. I don't mess with bipods unless it is attached to my rifle, and I only have one of those attached about half the time as I would rather shoot off of my pack or tripod.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I use the Harris prone length, pivoting bi-pod on my rifles. I don't use it all of the time as shooting situations will vary, but with the pivot action you don't need to have a level spot for the rest. I've thought about going the detached mono/bi-pod route also, but since I mostly hunt alone I was deterred by the fact that it would be one more thing that I'd have to carry and set up separately wasting precious time before a chance at a shot. I think that if you had a partner that could carry and set it up for you while you're getting the gun ready, they'd be pretty handy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post: