Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    I use the Stoney Point also, we have used them for several years with no problems. have a couple different sizes and they are light weight.
    PSE X Force Axe
    Sword Sight
    Ripcord Rest
    Easton FMJ

Savage 270WSM
    Weatherby 257 Magnum
    Remington .204
    Ruger 7x57

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also have my spotting scope tripod do double duty - less to carry.

I figure I have more time when I want to set up my spotting scope than when I want to shoot, so I carry my scope in my pack and leave the tripod top empty for shooting. It only takes a bit to put the scope/plate back on.

On the other hand, if you don't mind carrying them, the trigger-release sticks like the Bog Pod are really quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the Stoney point sticks, they double as a walking stick also. Great to put your binos on also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
    I like the Stoney point sticks, they double as a walking stick also. Great to put your binos on also.
    Ditto I do the same thing. My only complaint is the little rubber keeper should be positively attached to one of the sticks.
    I had to make my own as I lost it pretty soon after purchasing.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use the stoney point(short ones). I have heard of using the tripod if you have time to setup on it. I cant wait to try that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    build your own, better than anything on the market, quicker setup/adjust too.

Perhaps I should just build these and market them?
    Would you mind posting a pic of the ones you build?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've been using the Stoney Point "Steady Stix II" for years. They're very light, quick to set up and provide a steady shooting rest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the Stoney Point steady stix. I'm not sure they make them anymore but they work well. love em. Light weight. Compact. Your better off practicing getting ready to shoot, before the moment of truth is upon you. They take a little getting used to when on hillsides. That being said, I've used them for many years and they really shine on grassy hillsides, where shooting prone is not possible. I wear them on my belt, opposite my shouldered rifle. If I'm stalking deer, I'll unfold them and have them ready in my hands when I'm getting up close, before I mark my target.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    I swear by a Harris bi-pod mounted to my rifle and have used it on nearly every rifle hunt for the past 25 years. In most cases it provides a solid rest. There are some situations however that it just won't cut it. One such case was back in 1995, I drew one of the best deer tags in Nevada. The area I was hunting was filled with waist high sage and gentle rolling hills so it was difficult to find a place for a prone shot. I got into situations where I was trying to rest across some flimsy sage, and a couple very nice bucks I had easy shots on got away.

Then in 2005 in Colorado I had a 3rd season Gunnison basin tag. Some elk hunters blew a 185-190 class buck out of the timber into the sage (sage again) and I made a fast stalk up to a tiny knoll and took a prone rest with a Harris bipod. Everything looked great. The shot was solid and I was close enough that the buck looked as big as a truck in my scope but I missed. The only thing that makes any sense is I clipped some sage near where I was shooting.

The last few years I have succumbed to packing the weight of a solid tripod (Manfrotto) for glassing since it is the only tool I have found that I can glass well from in windy conditions, which is the norm in most of the places we hunt. We have now taken several animals shooting from this tripod. I take the pan head, turn it up 90░ so the handle sticks straight in the air, and rest my rifle in the little "crotch" formed by the handle. A solid tripod makes an excellent shooting rest. You can shoot sitting, kneeling or standing off of this. I got the idea watching Mossback videos years ago. I think my next step in this will be to invest in a high quality carbon fiber tripod or an Outdoorsman tripod. I have thought about shooting sticks, but I am carrying the tripod anyways in areas where I'm doing a lot of long range glassing.

In 2009 we used the tripod for my wife to kill her Oregon ram. The best ram in the area gave us the slip on day 3, just as she was ready to take the shot (for the two seconds the ram was still she said should I shoot, and I had my fingers in my ears waiting for her shot). For the next several days we could not find a ram that was even close to it, but could not relocate that ram. On the 8th day, the next to the last day of the season, we decided to drop into a draw and hike up is and glass some areas we could not see from on top. We found the ram bedded uphill from us. We were in the very bottom of the draw (flat portion) and the sheep had us spotted and pinned down. She had to make a steep uphill shot. She sat down and we adjusted the tripod up quite high so she could get a good rest and she drilled him. There would have been no way to take that shot off the Harris bipod.

The nice thing about using the tripod for these types of shots is I that am already packing it around.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 08-08-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    graybird, after some research I just ordered the Bog Gear camo tall tripod, and a Harris bipod that mounts directly unto the gun. Because I have no experience with either, all I can do is research what other hunters are using and make a educated decision. If the product does not work out, give it to the less fortunate and start over. When I receive the pods I will P.M you with a quality update. FORD#1