Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive always ran a harris bi-pod, but the sage doesnt get overly tall where i hunt like other parts of the west. If anyone watched any eastmans episodes where there hunting in south west wyoming it would be pretty difficult to hunt with anything other then a bog-pod or some sort of tripod. So i would say take a good look at the area and terrain you hunt and choose. I too have a manfrotto tripod in my pack but i run a ball head works pretty good for shooting off never really used it in a quick hurry shoot situation mostly just shot rock chucks off it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    go archery hunting problem solved lol!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I also use my tripod for shooting like UH said he does with his by turning the handle up and putting the rifle forearm in the V crotch. It's out where I can get at it and my camera and spotting scope are in my pack with quick disconnects since they aren't need quickly like the tripod might be when I'm walking to and from hunting areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone! Been away from the site for a few days with work.

I typically carry a small bench top tripod with me when hunting. I can typically find a rock to set it up on when glassing, so my current tripod doesn't fit my current application.

I, too, have run into problems with the sage and brush being too tall for the Harris bipods. A few years ago while bear hunting, I popped over a hill and there was a nice boar walking along the opposite hillside at 300 yards. I tried shooting off my pack standing upright, but wasn't steady enough and fluffed the shot. I took my tallest Harris bipod into the same area a week later and found a bear on a steep uphill angle. The bipod did me no good as I couldn't get him in the sight picture, and he eventually slipped off into the brush never to be seen again.

So, I'll be headed back into this same unit in September with another bear tag in my pocket and returning in November with an either sex elk tag, too. So, I need to make a plan on some shooting sticks to solve my previous problems.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use a Trigger Stick. It is a wonderful walking stick and at my age walking sticks are great. Squeeze the trigger to extend it to the pre determined shooting height and your ready. I've shot a lot of deer and elk using it. Not so much antelope as I try to shoot prone of my Harris bipod on the rifle as much as I can. Works well for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    i really like the stoney point rapid pivot bipod very easy on off and put right into your pack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Most of my shots are off a Harris Bipod. I like the bipod because it is attached to my gun and I dont have to take something else along while belly crawling on a stalk. I like to shoot prone whenever I can so the bipod works good for me.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the bog pod red legged devil and they work well for practice etc. in the field they leave a little to be desired. Slow to adjust. The primos trigger sticks that a buddy has are way faster to use. I've thought about selling the bogs to upgrade however in the field I prefer to go prone and use my pack or a rock. The big pods work well for sitting with no adjustment for me too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I tried my 300 yard gong off of my tripod. missed both times. couldn't get the rifle steady enough. I nail that thing every time laying prone. I guess I got to practice more.

the gong is the size of a sheet to paper.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    prone is where it's at....

The problem with sticks and such is the back end will float. If you can't get between the sage for a prone/bipod shot and you're out 300-600 you might need to get one of those 2 point contact jobs for the tripod, where the rifle is supported fore and aft. You might also try the sticks up front and a trekking pole under the rifle butt. I'm a long way from an expert but from what I've seen, it's easy to keep the front of the gun steady, the back however is a different story. Just the recoil being off center line will move your impact point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post: