Thread: Pack for Youth

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pack for Youth

Hey guys, so my 12, almost 13 year old will be heading out into the field with me this coming deer season in CA and right now I'm in the market for a good youth pack. We do day hikes deep into BLM land in addition to private and normally when we get one down, we quarter them on the spot and take them out on our backs. Now I know the kid will not be able to carry a whole deer or even half but if he gets one I might hand over some of the meat for him to carry. What would you guys suggest for a good pack? I have the J34 but frankly it would be a touch to heavy for him. I was also thinking of the X2 but there is not a lot of space to carry much of anything and would like this to last quite a few years and as he gets stronger he will be carrying more weight.

Kid is build like a twig, 5'7", maybe 110 pounds and about a 30 1/2" waist. I did look at the new Kuiu Ultra 1800 and 3000 but right you I cannot swap out the waist belt to the larger one when he out grows it and did not want to buy a whole new suspension.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would sure try to find a used pack if you are looking at the high end packs. You are likely only getting a year or two out of it before he wants something bigger. I would look at the Easton packs on Camofire. They are just right for lightweight(max 50-60# ??), and don't cost a fortune.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks TTT, I have been looking for a used pack but at the moment not finding a ton but will keep looking. I almost bought the Easton pack from Camofire but was not 100% sure who good it was but will take a hard look at it again when it comes up. Fortunately he does have a younger brother that will use it so I will get a little bit of use out of it before it's up for or retired.