Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WY Area 98

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY Area 98

I'm considering putting in for this area next year for elk and wondered in anyone could give me some insight to the type of terrian and how the elk hunting has been over the years?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't attest to the hunting, but I can tell you what the terrain is like. The lower 3/4 of the unit is sagebrush flats with some farms mixed in. The elk to winter in there, but I don't know how many remain in that part later in the year. The upper 1/4 goes up into the Wind River range. It raises fairly rapidly so be prepared for some steep climbing. I have family in Pinedale so I will find out from them if they know how the hunting is in there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dad had been hunting there since the late 80's and has killed many elk. 98 is a huge area so I can't attest to all of it. Like wyoming man said there is a lot of sagebrush country that's lower, but that's not been where we hunt, though of the big bulls that I've seen come out of that area that's where the biggest were. We pack in from the highest trailhead and hunt from 10k to around 11.5k feet in elevation. The terrain isn't too bad if you don't want it to be. There is quite a few trails through the area which make the travel not too bad, but there's also the steep hillsides next to the rivers and lakes. I've also hunted the Hoback area West of 98 which is nothing but gnarly straight up and down hiking . . . the stuff I've hunted in 98 isn't near that bad. I will tell you that the rifle season has gotten quite crowded in the area we hunt and this next year will be the first that I've archery hunted as a result. But again, the area is quite large so that may not be the case throughout. Hope that helps.
    See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. ~Colossians 2:8~

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a ton 307 and wyoming man! Besides 98, can you recommend any other areas to put in for that doesn't take a lifetime to draw?

Oh one last question regarding 98, do you think it's necessary to bring an ATV or are there enough roads where a person can drive, park and get out and walk?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've only hunted 3 elk areas in the 18 years I've been eligible to hunt. I drew an area 22 tag last year which I would recommend, though I'm not sure of the nonresident draw odds. The terrain is pretty gnarly but I saw several 300" elk while scouting and I know a guy who killed a 396" bull there 5 years ago. That being said I really enjoy hunting 98 as it is some of the most beautiful country I've ever been in.

As for the ATVs, almost all the trails I've been on off the trailhead have been closed to motorized access. There are a few two tracks that a guy could travel but we always had horses growing up so that's where my experience is.

I don't know if you've ever elk hunted in Wyoming before but there are a fair amount of elk in 98 and like I said it is beautiful. I would recommend it.
    See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. ~Colossians 2:8~

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again for the info 307! I have never hunted in WY before so this will be a first go around. I plan on buying my point this year and if what I read is correct I stand a good chance at drawing a tag for next season.

Sounds like bringing my atv may not be a wise choice as it may spend more time on the back of the truck then out on the trail. Also I will look up the info for 22 and see what the odds are. My goal would be to find a place to park, throw on the pack and get out and walk a good mile or two in from any roads. I'm assuming like most areas there are a lot of road hunters? Are grizzlies down in 98 or just black bears?
    Last edited by magnum12; 06-20-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know if I can really advise you not to bring the ATV, it just doesn't make sense where we hunt in particular. We're a fair ways in from the trailhead close to the wilderness boundary and it just doesn't make sense there. However there are a few spots where I could see a guy using one. I'd just hate to tell you, you'll definitely not need the ATV and then wish you had one coming all the way from NV.

Regardless, I think the setup and park and hike in a couple mile scenario is not a bad way to hunt especially for a first trip till you can gauge the particular area you'll set up in.

I wouldn't worry about the bears too much. I've been in that country quite a bit and seen a black bear only once, and that was in the Spring. I have seen pictures of Grizz as far South as we hunt, but I've never actually laid eyes on one nor cut a track. To my point, it will be my first time archery huting in there this Fall and I will not be packing a sidearm. On the far North side of 98 maybe, but not the Southern side.

I'll try and post some pictures here if I can figure out how.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again 307 for the info! If I get drawn then I will look more into bringing my ATV. I would hate to tote it around the whole time and never take it off the back of the truck.

If you have trouble posting pics let me know and I can PM you my email address.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I tote mine in the back of the truck almost all season up here and the only time i use it is to get something out if i can get to it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wish mine was that easy. For starters I have a top on the back of my truck and I have what they call is a Rokon. It's a 2X2 motorcycle that is great in getting into almost anywhere. The way I transport it is I have a wheelless trailer that slides into my receiver hitch and have to take the bike on and off whenever I need to drop the tailgate. I do have a trailer but don't want that behind me if I'm driving in the back country.