Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Tire chains on Ford F150 - Questions / Feedback

    Guys,

    I'm a new member to the forum but a longtime Eastman's subscriber. I'm heading to Wyoming in October and looking at purchasing chains for my 2011 Ford F150. I've spoken with a few folks that say I need to add 1/2" spacers to insure clearance of the chains. I've talked to guys that never add spacers and do just fine. Just looking for a little feedback as to the experiences you all have had.
    Thx in advance for the help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ib_reel View Post
    Guys,

    I'm a new member to the forum but a longtime Eastman's subscriber. I'm heading to Wyoming in October and looking at purchasing chains for my 2011 Ford F150. I've spoken with a few folks that say I need to add 1/2" spacers to insure clearance of the chains. I've talked to guys that never add spacers and do just fine. Just looking for a little feedback as to the experiences you all have had.
    Thx in advance for the help!
    I'd be talking to an automotive expert that is up on what the vehicle needs and not relying on what tips you get from "experts" on the internet. I know there are now 4x4 vehicles that you would think could readily accept chains, but due to changes in design the last few years a chain will ruin the vehicle quickly the way brakes, lines, and other critical components are too close or can be severely damaged if a chain happens to come loose or is thrown off the tire.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, mn
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First of all, check your owners manual. I just went through this last year with my 2012 Tundra. I ended up getting some type S, low clearance chains to play it safe and they will be better than nothing but most new trucks are not supposed to be chained up in the front.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My uncle had a 2009 stock F-150, no spacers, and purchased some of the heavy duty chains for 'emergency'. I believe the owner manuals say no to chains but when you need em', you need em'! We used them mostly on the rear when the weather turned but had to use them on the fronts a few times as well. We spent a lot of time and energy putting them on and peeling them off. We threw a few chains in some pretty deep snow but nothing ever got tied up inside. Great looking pickup!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    4,929
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 581 Times in 508 Posts
    Congratulations
    33
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Is there anything that it looks like the chains would hit? I would defiantly try them on at home, cut extra links off the inside, carry bungees for the outside to keep them tight, ect.
    Keystone 1, Over!

    " I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As stated, read the manual and most important try them on before you need them. Ripping off front brake lines when your in the middle of nowhere is not something you want.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thx guys - the owners manual says " type S chains only ". I don't believe these chains will get me where we're going. The ranch owner says you need all four tires chained for the 4 mile trek in to camp.
    I tested my buddies chains for his F150 and the fit great with 1/8" or so of clearance. He uses them year in year out in Colorado with no issues.
    I'm just concerned cause I certainly don't want to tear up my truck in the middle of nowhere!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ib_reel View Post
    Thx guys - the owners manual says " type S chains only ". I don't believe these chains will get me where we're going. The ranch owner says you need all four tires chained for the 4 mile trek in to camp.
    I tested my buddies chains for his F150 and the fit great with 1/8" or so of clearance. He uses them year in year out in Colorado with no issues.
    I'm just concerned cause I certainly don't want to tear up my truck in the middle of nowhere!
    1/8" or so of clearance to what? If the manual says only use the one type of chain on the truck, you had better pay attention. They would not put that in the book if the other type would not cause problems. Just putting a chain on in the driveway and saying it looks fine is not going to tell you what will happen when it's in use under stress going every which way with 4000#+ of weight. Can you take a quad into the camp and not risk screwing up your PU?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm going by what the landowner sends out as " before the hunt planning " He has same truck and says spacers and chains which adds up to $1,100 of extra expenses

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 157 Times in 147 Posts
    Congratulations
    8
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ib_reel View Post
    I'm going by what the landowner sends out as " before the hunt planning " He has same truck and says spacers and chains which adds up to $1,100 of extra expenses
    A one time expense though. And look around, spacers can be found cheaper. Just don't buy the cheaply made spacers. And like I said, you won't have to buy them for your next trip out!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

    "Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •