Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Whatever, but I take the word of equipment manufacturers and not dimestore mechanics!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Just get a sawzall and cut some out of the fenders to make sure you have clearance! lol
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Any manufactured product can likely be improved if one is willing to invest the time, and or, money.
    Manufacturers make their recommendations based on corporate liability not always what will work best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Just get a sawzall and cut some out of the fenders to make sure you have clearance! lol
    Are you sure you are not from Wyoming? Its the only place I know that the sawz-em-all is considered a precision body work tool.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Several have had similar comments - but #1 make sure you purchases chains with correct fit. Get that right before selecting type of chain. Here's a rookie move to not re-live.

When I was twenty years younger I purchased chains and didn't verify fit. Found cause to use them in the Flat tops in Colorado on a little one lane road way up high. Put them on and they were a bit loose. I knew it wasn't right and as I was getting ready to take them off someone pulled in behind me. I tried to pull forward only about 10 feet so he could squeeze around while chains were still on and in that short of a distance the chains slipped off on one tire breaking hydraulic brake line. I never thought they could slip that fast. If one brake goes... They all go. Spent the next several hours in 4-Low creeping down the mountain and into town.

Moral of the story - if it's your first time using chains make sure you get the right equipment. A little hands on coaching beats the heck out of internet advise.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 4 Posts
    I've never had a "truck" where putting chains on would be such an issue. When you're talking about having 1/8 inch of clearance that's
    not much lee-way. These new trucks weren't made to be used that way. You could cause a lot of very expensive damage really
    quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a 2010 F-150 SuperCcrew that I ran chains on regularly. I had LT275x70x18 tires with a front-end leveling kit. It was close, and I drove slow when chains were on the front, but it worked great. Different styles of Ford trucks have different front end shock packages (FX4 vs Lariat vs XLT vs HeavyDuty Payload vs SnowPlow Prep vs 6.5' bed, etc...), so what works on one truck may not work on yours.

Take them to a shop, try them out and have a qualified person pay close attention to your clearances while driving straight and while turning. If you're too close for comfort find a different solution... don't screw up your truck. They're too dang nice nowadays.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you can't get to a spot with the back end chained up with regular chains and S style chains in the front you have no business being where you are. I was pissed when I found out I could only run S's in the front but after an educated purchase they aren't that bad of a chain and a hell of a lot better than no chains at all. 1/8" of clearance is flirting with major structural damage to the upper control arm!