Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Onyx Phone AP

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Onyx Phone AP

I know there's been a lot of chatter lately about hte Onyx chip. And I for one really love mine. But I was wondering if anyone has actually used the Android or iPhone AP in the field yet. I was considering getting this AP as well. Truth be told...I actually like my phone topo better than my GPS. The screen is much better and I can see it more clearly. And one person in our group doesn't have a GPS with chip capabilites, so I mentioned this AP to him.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree on smart phone>GPS. There was a promotion for RMEF where if you signed up you got the onxmap app for free. Pretty good deal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to okielite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    I know there's been a lot of chatter lately about hte Onyx chip. And I for one really love mine. But I was wondering if anyone has actually used the Android or iPhone AP in the field yet. I was considering getting this AP as well. Truth be told...I actually like my phone topo better than my GPS. The screen is much better and I can see it more clearly. And one person in our group doesn't have a GPS with chip capabilites, so I mentioned this AP to him.

I may just do that deal.....I am just hoping it works well, and has at least close to the functionality that the GPS version has. Thanks!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use the iPhone App and have had nothing but success with it. Make sure to cache the areas you'll be hunting in for offline use and you'll be golden. I use mine for hunting and it really shines on my trapline. I mark my set locations as a point and continue on. It really helps on a long line in not forgetting where your sets are at. Then I can also determine the most expedient manner in which to run my line. I also use the desktop version to find likely locations (trapping or hunting) then I pin those points into my phone for in the field recon. There is much more that this system can do than I am explaining here. Do a little digging and I am sure you'll like what you come up with.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Turvey, Jr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use their app on the Moto X, which is Android based. Caching the maps is easy and having a larger screen that the phone provides in comparison to a GPS is fantastic!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MulyBux7077 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Will the phones GPS work in airplane mode? Or do you have to keep it on (searching for signal and draining battery)?
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 5 Posts
    I believe Brandon had his on airplane mode when we were bear hunting this spring.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I believe Brandon had his on airplane mode when we were bear hunting this spring.
    If you think about it, or don't mind, ask him for me. I guess I could call Onyx as well. Thanks!!!
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I also just bought this for my Android phone and was wondering the same thing. If you cache the maps, will it still show where you are even with no service? I have heard that Android phones will work in air plane mode.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    I also just bought this for my Android phone and was wondering the same thing. If you cache the maps, will it still show where you are even with no service? I have heard that Android phones will work in air plane mode.
    I know for sure it will work where there's no service. Just not sure about when in airplane mode.
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker