Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bow/user failure

I was at the bow range last night and had a bit of a catastrophic failure. My pro shop says it was probably a user related issue. I'm not ruling that out by any means but thought I would ask if anyone else has ever ran into a similar issue.

The story, as I remember it, goes like this:

I was drawing my bow back, heard a awkward shooting noise, punched myself in the face because almost all the pressure drawing back had disappeared, let go of my release (unfortunately I shoot a hand release and use a small rope tied to it and use a slipknot to attach it to my wrist so I don't loose it while hunting), because I let go of my release and the rope was attached to my wrist, when the string shot forward from me letting go of my release the knot tightened so tight that by the time I could get the sting off my hand had turned blue, one of the strings came crushing down on my wrist that hold my bow. After that split second of events I had noticed that all the cables/strings were out of place on the bow and even the cable slide had somehow become removed from the cable slide rod. None of the strings were broken, the cams looked straight. The only reason the pro shop could come up with is that maybe I had torqued the bow while drawing back and somehow the string or cables jumped the cam.

I am not a novice shooter and have shot thousands and thousands of arrows like many of you. I draw and shoot with an open hand so I am having a difficult time understanding how I could torque the bow enough for this to happen. The only reason I could have torqued the bow is because my shoulders were fatigued from work and drawing back was a little more difficult than normal.

Has anyone else had any similar instances or any insight as to what the heck could have happened or caused the issue?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Dam, sounds like it could have played out worse. They can cause you some injury when that happens! Was there any way something went around the can while drawing back? (Between the can and string). I don't think you could tork the bow enough for the string to come off IMO. I had it happen once with my wife's bow, while I was drawing it back something went between the cam and string when it went around it jumped off. I think it was something on my jacket if I remember correctly. I'm not a bow expert, but that's what I have had happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    bad story, sorry man.. were all the screw tightened on the cams? they tend to vibrate loose over time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Classic bow torque resulting in cables coming off the cams.....it happens even to experienced archers from time to time.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've watched someone de-string a bow by drawing it back with their fingers instead of a release ( thus torking the bow extremely) but never with a release. I'm glad you were not hurt during the experience, it could have ended a lot worse.
    Shoot STR8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    This ^^^^^

Never draw with your fingers. That's just asking for it to derail. And if you hard grip the riser it can happen easily.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 2 Posts
    This happened to me last year while using a Carter thumb release, even the punching myself in the face. I just like you thought that the bow had some sort of malfunction but the more I replayed it in my head, I am now sure that I accidentally hit the trigger about half way through my draw cycle, and then the release slammed into my bow causing a bunch of damage. Not saying that is what happened to you, but I don't buy the story of torquing a bow enough while using a release to cause the cables or string to jump off.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Not saying that is what happened to you, but I don't buy the story of torquing a bow enough while using a release to cause the cables or string to jump off.
    I've seen it happen several times at the pro-shop......usually when folks are letting down and torque to make it easier. It doesn't take much side torque at the grip when letting down to derail a cam.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nothing should have gotten into the cam while drawing back. I didn't have any loose clothing of any sort. Thanks for mentioning though, I certainly am going to be more mindful of that!

I'm not sure about the cam screws....I can honestly say I never check them. I will start though.

I didn't accidentally fire the bow. The release was still attached to the string after the ordeal. I too have accidentally prefired once in my life. I punched myself that time too and even managed to chip one of my front teeth. So far I only have to punch myself once to learn the lesson...yeesh!

In any case it seems that the general consensus is that it was a user error. I guess I could have torqued the bow. I typically don't shoot when my arms/shoulders are as fatigued as they were. That is the only difference from any other day of shooting. Thanks for all the input. Lots of helpful information that I will consider every time I draw back.

More input is welcome if anyone can think of any other things to be mindful of that could cause mishaps when shooting a bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Never heard of this with a release (still attached) and on the way back.

Yes, with fingers (twice to me).
    Yes on way back if trigger let go and yes on the let off even with a release.

Maybe you did torque but that has not happened to me in half a dozen bows in 25 years.
    Cam, string, cables all check out?
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7