Thread: Unit 11 Fire

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 11 Fire

I was fortunate enough to draw a controlled mule deer tag for Unit 11 this year. Unfortunately, the Big Cougar fire is actively burning from Captain John Creek south to the confluence of the Snake & Salmon rivers east into Eagle Creek. As of now, it is only 20% contained. The areas currently burning are where I've hunted in the past and where I was planning on hunting again.
    Anyone have any insight as to how much hunting will possibly be affected in this general area? With 2 months to go to the start of the season, I would imagine animals could move back in if enough cover is left in tact. However, if it's torched to the ground that would be a different story. I have not heard much news on the intensity of the fire at this point, nor do I have any experience in hunting burn areas other than knowing that subsequent years would generally probably be better once 'green up' starts.
    Would IDFG potentially offer 'rain checks' for this hunt if enough public land goes up in smoke in this unit?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I hunted several years ago in the Colorado Flat Tops and there was a big fire right where I usually hunt. They wouldn't let us in there in July to scout. Didn't seem to effect the animals come elk season the first week in September. There was so much smoke during bow season that you couldn't glass anything. We would be walking by trees that had smoke rising out of the base of them. Sometimes we found elk bedded in the ashes. I was worried some days that the fire would start back up and we would be running for our lives. We had backpacked in 3 miles. Shot a cow several days into the hunt and saw the usual amount of elk and rutting activity. It wasn't torched to the ground in most places but still burning everywhere. There was a lot of evidence of caterpillars opening a road up to get the fire fighters in but they were long gone.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Idaho might offer a refund if enough of the unit burns but I doubt they would offer a rain check. We had smoke up here from that fire a couple days ago but its cleared out pretty well now. Since Idaho has no points and is luck of the draw anyways I would go hunting no matter what burns!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check with fish and game, they have done rain checks or refunds in years past depending on the fire.

newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 3 Posts
    I would test my luck and hunt the burn. I have seen animals in them after the day fire runs through it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    have you guys not been getting much rain in there last couple weeks? been raining like mad down here in southeast part of state, going to be like hunting in a rain forest come fall. hopefully you guys will pick up a little rain and get some new grass growth going, if that plays out then it will work to your advantage.