Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Mule Deer state?!?

My name is Stephen and I am 27 from the midwest. I am looking to move west and I love to archery hunt mule deer. I lived in South dakota for a year and a half hunting them there and have been going back there for the last 6 years. I am an ER nurse, so my possibilities on location are endless. I can literally write my own ticket and go where ever I want. I would really like some help in choosing not only a state, but a region or area. I am a DIY public land hunter. Any advice or help would be greately appreciate.

Stephen

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Colorado has the biggest deer on a regular basis. Wyoming has a month long season and good quality as well.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The answer to your question is in the Members Research Sections that you will find in Eastmans' Hunting Journal and Eastman's Bowhunting Journal. They are not in the magazine rack versions, just in the subscriber copies. If you have not seen the TV show, this is mentioned in every episode.

Half the sections run in EHJ, the rest in EBJ, so you should spend the extra $15/year to get the other journal, otherwise you are only going to see half of them. I'm not sure everyone realizes that. Usually, these start in December but there may be a little head start this year, so get your subscription in.

Also, as a subscriber you can access the MRSs for past years on the Eastmans' site.

This little article I wrote for a recent E-News might also help some http://blog.eastmans.com/whats-the-b...ke-bc-animals/
    Last edited by hoshour; 08-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just joined today actually. That information is worth more than the cost of the magizine. I am really looking for personal experience and anyone's personal opinion as well. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look seriously at Wyoming.
    Great state with incredible hunting and fishing opportunities.
    We spent the 4th of July one year in Cody and it was a blast. More normal people in one place than I see in a whole year in California.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelduster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I have not hunted there but Arizona has some great otc opportunities for bow hunting you might want to look into!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is mule deer the ONLY thing you want to hunt? Or do you also want other opportunities for animals like elk and antelope? Does fishing or anything else factor in?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Minnesota hands down . . .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Is mule deer the ONLY thing you want to hunt? Or do you also want other opportunities for animals like elk and antelope? Does fishing or anything else factor in?

Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! I've hunted very little antelope and never any elk. I would definitely like the opportunity to hunt anything and everything. And I enjoy fishing as well. I guess I'm really looking for the hunting and wildlife meca to live in and hunt close to a new home. I just haven't hunted the others YET.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkerpayne View Post
    Thanks! I've hunted very little antelope and never any elk. I would definitely like the opportunity to hunt anything and everything. And I enjoy fishing as well. I guess I'm really looking for the hunting and wildlife meca to live in and hunt close to a new home. I just haven't hunted the others YET.
    If you are wanting good opportunity every year for all three of the species above, Wyoming is your best choice. Montana would be second IMO and Idaho would be third. The only reason I don't list CO is because it is all draws and shorter seasons where as the other two have many OTC options. CO is based on left overs for OTC and would be better to develop a plan for as a NR hunter.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post: