Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkerpayne View Post
    Does anyone know if Montana does the wilderness area restrictions? Montana's residency requirements are only 180 days where Wyoming is a full year. I'm looking to be 3-6 months out from now for the move so I could essentially hunt Montana as a resident next year, but not Wyoming if that makes sense. Thanks again everyone who has posted on here. I really appreciate the insight. I know no one wants another person hunting their spots.
    No, MT does not have the restrictions. You have to live in Wyoming for a full Calendar year before you can become a resident.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 4 Posts
    If you want to hunt every year I would not recomend NV. We have great huntiing but it's drawing the tags that is the hard part even
    for us residents.
    When you do draw a tag the hunting can be great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    If you want to hunt every year I would not recomend NV. We have great huntiing but it's drawing the tags that is the hard part even
    for us residents.
    When you do draw a tag the hunting can be great.
    Yeah I wouldn't even apply for Nevada. Horrible draw odds and I haven't seen a decent buck once in the state!😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    For the price and all of the oppurtunity that MT has to offer I don't think that it can be beat. Plus WY is real close (and NR tags are easy to get in WY) which is the state I would rank 2nd.
    Why do you think Montana as a resident over Wyoming?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana overpriced their hunting opportunities and has had lots of leftovers available every year since. Basically they told NR hunters to find other options when they raised prices. You wont' find a leftover general elk tag in Wyoming for good reason but you can go buy a leftover Montana elk or big game combo tag right now. Montana is basically an OTC state at this point for general elk and deer tags.

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    WYOMING!!!! Having lived in Wyo. for 25 years I can vouch for the great opportunities it presents to the outdoorsman. Since returning back to my native Michigan and experiencing life east of the Mississippi I can certainly reflect on all the greatness of Wyoming. As far as the Wilderness Law concerning Non residents needing a guide to hunt in the Wilderness. What a farce. Just a law made by the strong lobby of the hunting outfitters in the state to protect their businesses. For 25 years I could roam the Wilderness of Wyoming with a hunting Lic. as I pleased. Now after moving from the state and designated a non-resident I'm no longer competent to do so (?)(!). Spent lot's of time in wilderness on DIY hunts including a successful DIY sheep hunt. SOOOO, now I'm less able to take care of myself in that same wilderness than a person who just established residency after 1 year and has maybe never stepped inside a wilderness boundary . Go figure, just doesn't make sense. Furthermore they are discriminating against the hunting non resident with this Guide law just because he is packing a valid hunting license. This is the ONLY time a non resident is required to have a guide. If a non resident wants to fish, take photos, backpack, whatever, they can do so on their own and are exempt from the Wilderness Guide Law. Another example of we hunters being picked on for no legitimate reason (On federal Public Land that we non resident hunters pay taxes on!) just so an elite group of individuals (Guides and Outfitters) can require us to use their services for their profit. Not right!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 2 Posts
    I live in Colorado and would recommend Wyoming or Idaho. Colorado's cost of living is sky rocketing as well as the population and liberal regulation. I can't wait to transfer out of here to on e of the less crowded western states. If you do pick Colorado try the western slope, less people. Stay away from the front range!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I live in Colorado and would recommend Wyoming or Idaho. Colorado's cost of living is sky rocketing as well as the population and liberal regulation. I can't wait to transfer out of here to on e of the less crowded western states. If you do pick Colorado try the western slope, less people. Stay away from the front range!
    Down here in SW Colorado we consider the "Front Range" to be another state.......too bad it isn't!! If I had it to do over, Wyoming would be it for me.....
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 08-25-2014 at 09:21 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wyoming hands down. Ya the "record book" shows lots of record muley bucks killed in Colorado but check the kill dates.....years ago! Deer hunting in Colorado has taken a big hit here and populations are way down. Of course, you'll feel like your hunting back east what with all the hunters that swarm to Colorado. Seasons are also short....some just a matter of a few days long. Years ago Colorado was a really great place to hunt and live. Anymore, with the liberal left running the state house AND the CPW, and the massive population growth along the front range, it's not much fun living here anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If there are fewer nonresident hunters in Montana, why wouldn't Montana be a better choice then Wyoming? What is it about Wyoming that is better than Montana? Also if anyone would have leads on specific areas in Wyoming that are better than others u would really appreciate it. I have looked into Cody and Sheridan so far. But I really don't know the areas well. Im contacting Wyoming fish and game about getting previous years successes and areas of public ground. Also investing in onx maps next month as well for the regions. Any other help or insight would really be appreciated. Thanks again.