Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

From Kansas...for the moment

I am a 27 yr old archery fanatic. I currently live in Kansas and have lived in South Dakota in the past. I am actually looking into moving west for the sole purpose of better archery hunting, with an emphesis on mule deer hunting. I am a DIY public land, off the beaten path hunter at this point in my life. Any words of advice on areas to look into would be greately appreciated. I have never hunted west of South Dakota, but have spent a little time driving across the country. I am a white tail fanatic at home in eastern kansas right now as well. I am looking at moving within the next couple of months to make my residency take place before next years hunting season. Like I said anything would be appreciated on areas.

Thanks,

Stephen

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You are in a great state for mule deer, just is under the radar because it's so difficult to get a tag for NR. There are some brutes in the west end of the state. I think Kansas has it set up so you can always get a resident tag after you move out of state. At least check into it to see what the requirements are. As far as where to move to, that would be a difficult choice. Possibly Nevada, Utah or Arizona would have to be up there for residents. Other states are friendly enough for NR(Colorado & Wyoming) that it isn't as big a deal being a resident. Once you pick the state then narrow it to areas.
    Last edited by NE69; 08-10-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! If I were choosing state to move to for hunting I would move to Wyoming somewhere around the Big Horn mountains.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome!

Your question is very similar to "Best Mule Deer State?" See my post there for a little help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! You sound pretty similar to me. I am originally from Texas, but was in SD for almost 5 years and am now in central Kansas. I cant help much with the western states, but I have family that lives in NW NM where there are pretty good hunting spots. Good luck on the move
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)