Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes the shower test reliable or functionally testable?
    That's a good question!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    I ask for one reason, how many of us, have experienced rain with exactly the same consistency as what a shower head is pumping out?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Well if it passes the shower test, then passes the car wash, only one final check to see if you get wet...........

FINAL TESThttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k19a-PPrK24

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Don K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Well if it passes the shower test, then passes the car wash, only one final check to see if you get wet...........

FINAL TESThttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k19a-PPrK24

That would have to be the final test!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone have any experience with the Russell raintamer ll jacket? They have some on eBay now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://www.astm.org/Standards/D7017.htm, fun topic but not worth $37, sorry

http://blog.tyndaleusa.com/2013/11/0...flame-hazards/
    I guess FR raingear at least is leak tested at 30 psi for 3 minutes. A shower is about 15 psi average I think.

I think you are right ScottR, if it is raining shower hard and blowing sideways I am holed up somewhere, hopefully indoors. I am not a crab fisherman or whatever. If they have tanker planes dumping, hopefully I am very far away, lol. Maybe running through the sprinkler is a better test, lol. The car wash can be a little dangerous and might even rip the seams, not sure how you went about that one.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 08-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    I should have been a little more specific I guess, I didn't go through the automatic car wash( the bristles would tickle) I Ty-wrapped the hose spraying full bore to the wall and stood in it twisting and turning every which way to see if I could get them to leak. I was testing out some new gear and wanted to see if it would fail. Like Scott has mentioned probably the best test is to be in the rain it's self. I was in rain for tens days straight on an antelope hunt last year and never got wet, the last night I slept in my rain gear pants and jacket because my tent was so saturated with water my sleeping bag was wet(since purchased a downtek one) I slept warm and dry. The right kind of equipment could be a lifesaver in the backcountry, if you can afford it don't skimp on quality rain gear.
    Shoot STR8

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I have seen rain alot worst then my shower! lol Anything can happen in the high country. Last time I hunted high country I got rain or snow everyday of the hunt and it was mid sept. All I am saying is go prepaired with good gear and when you are nice and dry during a rain storm in your rain gear you will not regret the extra $100 you spent on better rain gear!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I've said this before on here.....this rain gear I have may not suit the mountain hunters, but Rivers West is by far and away the best I've ever owned. The reason I say it may not suit certain hunters is because it does seem heavy. Especially wearing it while walking. The very first time I wore my RW it came an absolute down pour. Best test I could have given it and I was dry where I had the RW west on, but my gloves and hat got soaked and they were supposedly waterproof. Sure showed the weak points of my wet weather gear that day. RW is also rip proof which works well for the briar thickets we hunt here in KY and Ohio.

After reading RUTTIN's blog entry, and owning some Core4 gear, I wouldn't think twice about trying their rain gear out as well.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mnhoundman,
    I live in northern Iowa and at my local Fleet Farm I picked up some British Surplus Gore-Tex rain pants and jacket. The total was $80 I believe. They appear to be new and unissued. I have not personally tested them. And I am not persuasive enough to get my wife to do the carwash test for me.

Jason Moeller

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlmoeller For This Useful Post: