Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am thinking about adding a T/C Encore to my "Armory."

Is anyone using one of these for Western mullies or elk?

What is your setup? (Barrel length/optics/caliber)

What is your experience on carrying long distance?
    Last edited by BowHunterJake; 08-11-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i've got a stainless TC muzzleloader pro hunter i used for Colorado elk last year. 28 inch barrel.

no issues carrying / packing the gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I too have a TC Pro hunter....great gun. Hope to get my first elk with it next month. Bought it new last year.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHunterJake View Post

Are you planing to use this as a muzzleloader, or are you getting different barrels for different setups?

I own this in the muzzleloader form (50 cal) and have killed one muley (125 yards) and one bull (170 yards). I will be chasing UT bull with it this September. Great muzzleloader and I have never had any issues carrying it in the field, no different than any other rifle. Open sights since that is what is required to hunt NV and other western states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing about the Pro Hunter, it is a pure M/L. The Encore you can change barrels, not so with the Pro hunter, but basically the same action.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    The Pro Hunter FX is purely muzzleloader, the previous model pro hunters have interchangeable barrels like the original Encore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    The Pro Hunter FX is purely muzzleloader, the previous model pro hunters have interchangeable barrels like the original Encore.
    Exactly, the "FX" model is simply a ML. With the Encore, and Encore ProHunter you can buy multiple barrels for. I Personally would spend the extra money for the Encore. If I JUST wanted a stand alone ML, I'd look at other Thompson's or the CVA Accura. Something along those lines.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHunterJake View Post

I have the stainless model in 270 with Leupy 3x9.....i like it, but don't carry it in the backcountry, prefer my 7mm with bigger optics.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    If I JUST wanted a stand alone ML, I'd look at other Thompson's or the CVA Accura. Something along those lines.
    Why? I did a lot of research before I bought mine and couldn't find anything bad about it. Maybe a bit expensive, but it sure shoots great.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Why? I did a lot of research before I bought mine and couldn't find anything bad about it. Maybe a bit expensive, but it sure shoots great.

For no reason other than the expense. It is indeed a fine ML, probably up there with the best you can buy from the factory. I was only pointing out that there are cheaper alternatives that are also very fine rifles in their own right. And if you were going to spend the cost of the FX, maybe he should consider throwing a couple hundred more and grabbing an Encore or Encore ProHunter.

I'd love to have an FX and I own a customized Encore. You can't ever have enough long guns in my mindset!!

I am sure you will be really happy with your FX, and I wish you luck with it this fall. I know this is a little off topic, but have you worked up a load that it likes? My Encore is a little picky, especially with powder weights. I added a Belm Trigger, a Belm Oversized pin, and the Belm hammer spring to mine. All of that really helped versus the factory configuration. The pin helped significantly with accuracy as my Encore from the factory was sloppy side to side where the barrel and action meet. Stiff as a board now!!!

Edited to add: Watch the Butt Stock screw on the Encores. A few years ago mine went all to hell with accuracy. Couldn't even get my trusty loads to group worth hunting with. Finally my uncle (who made the stock for mine) picked it up to inspect. Turns out that the screw had worked a little loose. You could feel it, but not really unless you physically tried to "wiggle" it. He modified his stock design for me slightly, tightened up the screw and it was good to go. My brothers had the same issue happen to him with his synthetic stock last year.
    Last edited by Cobbhunts; 08-12-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker