Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Why? I did a lot of research before I bought mine and couldn't find anything bad about it. Maybe a bit expensive, but it sure shoots great.
    Agreed. I have a Prohunter M/L and it is one of the most accurate M/L I have ever shot. I am not sure that model would be my first choice for a mountain rifle, but if you just wanted to have one rifle for regular and M/L season, I cannot see a huge fault. For me the single shot action is just not very practical. I would rather have a bolt gun with 4 rounds in it, so I can take a quick followup without having to dink with loose rounds (especially if you have gloves on).

If it helps, do a survey of all of the hero shots on this website and count how many T/Cs you see leaned up against dead critters. If it is a good/practical option for mountain hunting you will see people using them.

What do you want from your rifle? I look for Lightweight, accurate, reliable, simple to operate, quick to put into action. I don't mean to rain on your parade with this, but I am not sure the Encore rifle fits the lightweight, simple operation, or quick categories. Keep in mind I love it as a M/L.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ripley Buck 2013 (as he laid).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	10246

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Agreed. I have a Prohunter M/L and it is one of the most accurate M/L I have ever shot. I am not sure that model would be my first choice for a mountain rifle, but if you just wanted to have one rifle for regular and M/L season, I cannot see a huge fault. For me the single shot action is just not very practical. I would rather have a bolt gun with 4 rounds in it, so I can take a quick followup without having to dink with loose rounds (especially if you have gloves on).

If it helps, do a survey of all of the hero shots on this website and count how many T/Cs you see leaned up against dead critters. If it is a good/practical option for mountain hunting you will see people using them.

What do you want from your rifle? I look for Lightweight, accurate, reliable, simple to operate, quick to put into action. I don't mean to rain on your parade with this, but I am not sure the Encore rifle fits the lightweight, simple operation, or quick categories. Keep in mind I love it as a M/L.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ripley Buck 2013 (as he laid).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	10246

Do you have the Encore ProHunter, or FX ProHunter? Let's not confuse the two, because they are very different. The Encore PH can accept other barrels. The TC PH FX can not. I went back and re-read the thread and it made it seem like the ProHunter wouldn't accept other barrels....is why I ask....and I wanted to point that out.

Nice buck!!! And I agree with what you state in its MTN Rifle capabilities to an extent.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Do you have the Encore ProHunter, or FX ProHunter? Let's not confuse the two, because they are very different. The Encore PH can accept other barrels. The TC PH FX can not. I went back and re-read the thread and it made it seem like the ProHunter wouldn't accept other barrels....is why I ask....and I wanted to point that out.

Nice buck!!! And I agree with what you state in its MTN Rifle capabilities to an extent.
    Mine is a Prohunter, not the FX, mine is capable of switching barrels (and can actually be converted to a pistol).

I am by no means saying it isn't a capable rifle, or wouldn't function in a mountain environment. However, it does have its limitations, and if someone is looking to buy a rifle for mountain hunting they have to be taken into account.

Also, thanks on the buck! It was the first WT buck I was able to successfully still-hunt. One of my favorite WT hunts in alot of years.
    Last edited by mnhunter; 08-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mine is the FX PH and I bought it for strictly ML hunting. I have plenty of other rifles for my non ML hunting, including a Ruger #1 single shot.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Uh oh, I think I am going to be labeled as a single shot hater.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Mine is a Prohunter, not the FX, mine is capable of switching barrels (and can actually be converted to a pistol).

I am by no means saying it isn't a capable rifle, or wouldn't function in a mountain environment. However, it does have its limitations, and if someone is looking to buy a rifle for mountain hunting they have to be taken into account.

Also, thanks on the buck! It was the first WT buck I was able to successfully still-hunt. One of my favorite WT hunts in alot of years.
    That's great, I love the snow hunting, we don't get a lot of it here though. His body is huge too by the way. For what it is worth, I am taking my.270WSM bolt action and my brother is taking his ProHunter in 7mm for our upcoming WY hunt. And we have a lot of rifles to chose from. I think it is very capable and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a MTN hunt either. Just know your limitations. I personally can reload a single shot pretty darn quick too haha!! Good luck....
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i love the pro hunters, I have two receivers and 4 barrels. I would recommend spending the extra $ and getting the pro hunter vs. the FX.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you all for the comments. I am looking at the Pro Hunter so that I can swap barrels. I am thinking about getting the ML barrel and a 7mm or 300 barrel.

The versatility seems hard to beat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHunterJake View Post
    Thank you all for the comments. I am looking at the Pro Hunter so that I can swap barrels. I am thinking about getting the ML barrel and a 7mm or 300 barrel.

The versatility seems hard to beat.
    I have extensive experience in the mountains and I just don't like a single shot. Bolt action is the only way to go but that is just my opinion. I have guided successful hunts with single shots but it sure made me nervous as follow up shots sometimes save the day when your many miles from a road. To each their own...good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a T/C Pro hunter because I got such a good deal on it as a 7mm-08 pistol. I then got a 7mm-08 rifle barrel for my wife to use the rifle for big game. I like the rifle because it is nice and light, but a follow up shot would have been nice a couple times. A private gun seller helped me out with the pistol cause he had one, and he said he would shoot 250 yards with it. I have not had enough time shooting to extend my range that far yet, but I'm confident to 150 with a solid rest and time.