Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 8 Posts
    As dry as this year has been I would look for feed and water.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That's my plan so far. There's an old pond a friend of mine said the deer use as a watering hole so I pretty sure I'll be heading up there

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't hunt the opener if you want to avoid the crowds and hunt mid-week if you can. Pick one of the wilderness areas and hike in a couple of miles and you will see few hunters but just because you are in a wilderness area it doesn't necessarily mean you will find deer. A lot of bucks are killed close to the major highways. Bucks will generally be up high until the first storm or hard freeze then they tend to move down in elevation. For specific areas, go to the CA Fish & Wildlife website and read the zone info. This is the link for D5 zone info;

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=83194

For areas that deer have been killed in the past and the timeframes during the season review the Spotkill map. Here is the D5 map for 2007 (most current on the website);

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regions/2/spot...007/d52007.pdf

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Horniac

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hunt north of Lake Alpine, you will have to pack in several miles to get away fro the hikers and horseback riders. Look for water, check for tracks around watering areas, and wait for some weather to move in. I was up there last Sunday (9/14/2014), it was hot but overcast, the cloud cover alone was enough to get the deer moving, I saw lots of does and spikes, and three forks moving around all day. I was up there training for my MT hunt so I wasn't hunting, just glassing but the deer are up there. You will have to put in a lot of sweat equity to get one. Best of luck!