Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope Decoys? Cow elk vs. Moo Cow vs. antelope

Ideas/Suggestions?

I was planning on picking up a cow elk and buck & doe pronghorn decoys, considering also getting a moo cow decoy.

Anyone ever have any success with a MOO COW over a antelope or cow elk decoy? particularly when bowhunting antelope?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    IMHO any realistic looking decoy for what's in the area you'll be hunting is better than nothing when hunting elk or antelope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Good thing about a moo cow, is no one is running around with weapons hunting moo cows.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hunting buddy and I decided to make 3d antelope decoys about 25 years ago for our S. oregon antelope bow hunt. I made a full frontal buck decoy out of chicken wire and fiberglass. He went cheap and used a 3d antelope target.
    We went separately and he got there a little before i did. I made a cpl half hearted stalks and called it a night, headed to camp and when I got there his decoy was in the middle of the road as I came in to our camp site. He comes out of the tent and says, "guess what?" "I set my decoy up on the edge of the timber patch, sat there minding my own business when a truck came out across the scab rock flats with 2 guys standing up in the back. The truck stops and they proceed to shoot my decoy. Then they shoot again. When he didn't fall over, they drove the truck up to see what the deal was. They weren't even on the road, just driving out across the rocks. Evidently the Indians have an open rifle season so you might not want to walk behind that decoy of yours..."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've tried several out on antelope with little success. The black cow seemed to work better then be the decoy or Montana decoy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Decoys can work well if used properly. Think safety first always... If you hunting during a rifle season, leave the realistic decoys at home.

The moo cow decoy has worked for me for everything from geese to big game as long as cattle were prevalent in the area.

If archery hunting antelope, don't plan on walking long distances with the decoy. Instead use it to "pop" over ridges to attract a bucks attention. During the rut, bucks can be very aggressive and will sometimes jog over to run off the would be competition.

I have never tried a cow elk decoy for antelope but I guess it might work in the right situation?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think a lot depends on how pressured the animals are. If they are in an OTC unit on public land they probably act different than a animal who lives in a hard to draw unit on private land.