Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any idea what states may be most affected?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good question. I personally would like to see a system closer to what we have with the Federal highway system, where federal funding can still be used but the overall management of the federal land is conducted for the most part at the local and or state level, with some serious caveats of course. I have been to a few of these meetings in the past and the first thing the residents will tend to angle for is to limit nonresident usage (hunting in particular) and I don't think that's fair. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NVBird'n'Big View Post
    Any idea what states may be most affected?
    The states that you generally think of that are the hot spots for western hunting all have huge swaths of public land. They would be all be in the cross hairs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    What are your thoughts on the landowners who's land is checkerboarded with public land then fence the whole thing off and how do we control it?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The states that have the most to lose/gain in any of these federal land disputes are by far, Utah and Nevada, followed up by AK, ID, MT, WY and CO. I believe both UT and NV have the most federal public land. I could be a off a little on that. The interesting thing however, is the fact that almost every state has some Federal land to deal with, so its not 100% a Western issue. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Federal overreach is one of the really big issues in Alaska. The majority of Alaska's land is Federally owned however the State constitution says the State is the management authority of the wildlife resources. The Fed's disagree and have been exerting management on Federal land for some time now because the citizens refused a constitutional convention that they wanted to give rural residents a priority to fish and wildlife.

I've been present at meetings where the Federal representatives (Park Service) admit they manage by "policy" not science! It's scary when their policy comes from D.C. and the likes of Sally Jewell.

I believe our best counter is at the ballot box. We need an administration that supports State's rights and we need every citizen and sportsman's group to always vote that way.

Do you have other strategies that can help?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    As long as we are talking about federal land, why do you think corner hopping, with today's GPS technology, is not legal in so many states?
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The "checker board" scenario is a tricky one. I personally believe in private property rights, as do most of the Federal court systems. I think its just flat unreasonable to expect to cross someone's deeded land to access public land. I would want people cutting across my backyard to find a shortcut to the alley behind my house. That's essentially what some guys want to do. Corner jumping is a bit of a different issue however.

I would like to see the state G&F agencies, and good orgs like BHA work to secure recreation easements to key chunks of public land through private land owners, with the use of tax deductions and cash leases if necessary. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    By corner hopping, I mean at a hopping public to public at the corner of checkerboard.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Isent deeded land not considered private and supposed to be open to the public?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.