Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yep Topgun, it goes back to deals with the railroad going through along what is now I-80. The RR got every other checkerboard, so what is now the BLM has the other checkerboard.

I kindof remember something that land sale in GTNP. It was a pretty good uproar about it, but I think it was wheel greasing for the bigger chunks that are going to be sold to the National Parks. Shady? Probably. Man it would be nice to find a deal like that Packmule. Its hard to rent a place in Jackson for $2000 a month. That would be some income property, put a little cabin with an outhouse out there and rent it out to Touristos all summer and make a killing.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    Please be careful with your comments guys. We are thrilled that most days we have a forum that stays civil. We have pushed the boundaries a few times, do your best to not belittle each other and stick to facts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    Yep Topgun, it goes back to deals with the railroad going through along what is now I-80. The RR got every other checkerboard, so what is now the BLM has the other checkerboard.

I kindof remember something that land sale in GTNP. It was a pretty good uproar about it, but I think it was wheel greasing for the bigger chunks that are going to be sold to the National Parks. Shady? Probably. Man it would be nice to find a deal like that Packmule. Its hard to rent a place in Jackson for $2000 a month. That would be some income property, put a little cabin with an outhouse out there and rent it out to Touristos all summer and make a killing.
    That $2000 was just for the mineral estate, not the surface (and it trumps the surface owner). You can't even do a standard 3yr/1ac for that in most areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    oh sorry, thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    But I'm looking for a place like you described as well. thinking ID side of the big hill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I could totally live in Driggs or someplace like that. That sounds awesome.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like that side better than the Jackson side.

This just in....

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/texas...rk-5702750.php

HOUSTON (AP) — A new state park and wildlife management area will be created with the almost $38 million purchase of a more than 17,000-acre ranch along the Texas Gulf Coast between Port O'Connor and Port Lavaca.

The Powderhorn Ranch in Calhoun County is being donated to the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife by three conservation groups who used settlement money from the 2010 BP Deep Horizon rig explosion and oil spill for their purchase.

The ranch is considered one of the last huge tracts of unaltered land on the Texas coastline.

Parks and wildlife agency executive director Carter Smith tells the [Houston Chronicle] the ranch is one of the "Holy Grails of coastal conservation" that eventually will be used for kayaking, fishing, hiking, birding and public hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like a great purchase buy the state of Texas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okielite View Post
    Sounds like a great purchase buy the state of Texas.
    Texas didn't purchase it. It was donated by three conservation organizations, so not one cent of public taxpayer money went into buying it! RMEF and other big groups do that a lot thorugh gifts or by getting landowners to sign conservation easements so the rivate land will never be sold to other oprivate interests that would close it off to the public.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Texas didn't purchase it. It was donated by three conservation organizations, so not one cent of public taxpayer money went into buying it! RMEF and other big groups do that a lot thorugh gifts or by getting landowners to sign conservation easements so the rivate land will never be sold to other oprivate interests that would close it off to the public.
    However it happened it's a great story. Glad to hear about land transferred to a state and now they can't sell it and it will be open to the public. Win all the way around.

So do you folks who don't think states should be in charge of managing land think this is a bad deal?