Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts

CO Evidence of Sex on Boned Out Meat

For my Colorado elk hunt (only 30 days away!!) I think I will be packing my meat boned out. I plan on using TAGs BOMB (boned out meat) bags.

I want to do a European mount, so I would skin the skull out, and remove the lower jaw, leaving the cape behind. I would bone out the shoulders and hinds and retrieve the tenderloins, backstrap and tenderloins. I would prefer not to mess with the ribs or rib meat.

Am I ok legally with that set-up or will I need to bring more in the way of evidence of sex in Colorado? If not what would you suggest if boned out as described above.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You'll need sex organs naturally attached to a major portion of the meat. Pretty easy to do but takes some forethought and careful knife work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruinPoint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinPoint View Post
    You'll need sex organs naturally attached to a major portion of the meat. Pretty easy to do but takes some forethought and careful knife work.
    Exactly, you will need to leave the sex organs attached to a portion of the meat. The antlers alone do not count. I usually bone out that section of ham leaving a strip of hide with the organs attached.

Good luck UH, I will be looking forward to hearing how your hunt went. I myself have 17 points and am pondering what to do the next couple years.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Take a grocery store bag and rubber band to try to keep hair off most of the meat if you leave hide attached. Also peel out the ribs, Right/wrong warden will consider it waste if left.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Also peel out the ribs, Right/wrong warden will consider it waste if left.
    I try to always keep the ribs as they are wonderful on the BBQ!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Take a grocery store bag and rubber band to try to keep hair off most of the meat if you leave hide attached. Also peel out the ribs, Right/wrong warden will consider it waste if left.
    Do you have to take front shoulders if they are shot through?
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Found this in this years regs. Seems pretty straight forward. I like the clarity on what meat is required to be packed out. Many states are not clear on that:

Page 13: It is illegal to have or transport a big-game carcasswithout evidence of sex naturally attached. It is illegal only to have evidence of sex accompany the carcass.

Page 13: Buck/Bull: Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass; or testicle, scrotum or penis attached to carcass.

Page 14: Fail to reasonably dress, care for and prepare edible wildlife meat (all species in this brochure) for human consumption. At a minimum, the four quarters, tenderloins and backstraps are edible meat. Internal organs are not.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 08-15-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    Yeah you don't have to take out rib meat in Colorado. If I am packing out miles from the truck the rib meat gets eaten by the critters.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So has anyone figured out how to do the gutless method (been doing that for as long as I can remember long before it was "in") and take the ribs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Do you have to take front shoulders if they are shot through?
    My understanding is that if it's "shot through" it isn't edible therefore you don't have to pack it out. I personally would err on the side of caution here though.