Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts

Favorite Spotter Window Mount

After with messing with a piece of junk Bushnell window mount for way too many years, I thought there had to be a better way. I finally paired up a Manfrotto 3292 window clamp, with a Manfrotto 3130 pan head and got a super smooth rugged window mount. If I remember correctly, they just screwed together. If you are using a Swarovski spotting scope, no adapter is needed, the mounting foot will clamp right in. This has been a huge help, particularly when using a spotter for antelope in Wyoming. I thought I would share this with you guys if you are looking for something better. If you also have something that's worked well for you, please share it on here.

Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very cool man. I was looking for my first window mount this past week at our local outdoor store. They had several. Vortex I believe. Swaro for sure. It was $99. And several others. What would this set up run, and would you recommend it for a rookie that DOESN'T have a Swaro spotter?
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I put this together a few years ago by shopping eBay for used parts. It looks like today you could get the Manfrotto 3292 for like $35 and the Manfrotto 3130 pan head for around $85, so $120 for everything. I looked for years and never found anything even close to this for quality with a smooth pan head. It is built like a tank. Also the pan head has a quick detach lever to remove your scope in a hurry.

The Swarovski window mounts I have seen are a compact ball head. For most game glassing I far prefer a pan head. The Swarovski is smaller and lighter if that is what you are looking for. I had two of them (came with spotters) and never really cared for them.

This set-up would probably last you a lifetime and should resell well if you went another direction.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the response. And thanks for looking at current pricing. I assumed you had put this together more recently and had an "off the top of your head" price. I could have looked it up myself as you gave us the part numbers. Sorry for being lazy!!! The Swaro looked cheap to be honest. Yours looks like it belongs on a MRAP vehicle haha.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Nothing fancy, but I got one on Amazon for I think around 20.00 or so. It's a alpine I'm a rookie also, but it had good reviews so I took a chance, seems to work good for me, granted I won't use it a whole lot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the cabelas outfitter series. It's the same quick connect as the vanguard alta series. Works great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat103925880

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Seems my biggest problem is finding tri pods and window mounts that all use the same plates. Just doesn't seem available. I would like to have a tripod for my pack, standing, and window mount that I can have the same plates connected to all my equipment and be able to connect from one devise to the other without changing plates.

I have a crappy Bushnell windo mount but it does the job for now.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Seems my biggest problem is finding tri pods and window mounts that all use the same plates. Just doesn't seem available. I would like to have a tripod for my pack, standing, and window mount that I can have the same plates connected to all my equipment and be able to connect from one devise to the other without changing plates.

The Cabelas outfitter series window mount is the same quick connect as the Vanguard alta series.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to okielite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post

One thing I love about Swarovski's is that the foot fits in specific Manfrotto bases with no adapter plate needed. I am never messing with adapter plates coming loose and always have a secure connection. My 65 mm Swaro spotter goes right into my window mount and my tripod with no plate. On my 85 mm Vortex Razor I use the adapter plate that adapts it to the same Manfrotto heads.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a decent pan head that I use on my tripod and window clamp. It only takes a couple of seconds to unscrew the head from the tripod or window clamp. I'd like to have two, but like ilikeitcold touched on, it sucks to have to switch out the shoes all the time and most of us probably have some older pan heads that aren't a universal fit to the new shoe sizes.