Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't have much to add to the food list topic, but I have one question. What is the gum for?? I avoid things like gum and jerky that make you salivate excessively because i think it burns up precious hydration. Does this make any sense, or is this just another weird idea that I get in head?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For me it's just one of those items. Probably could go without but I just don't like my breath smelling like a goat. And also it kind of revives me at times for whatever reason. Probably the sugar. As for the jerky I have the same reserve and asked the same question but I enjoy solid food with good flavor. I just hope its not like the country ham my grandma used to make for breakfast, that stuff would have you walking around the yard with the garden hose running because you would be so thirsty.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I don't have much to add to the food list topic, but I have one question. What is the gum for?? I avoid things like gum and jerky that make you salivate excessively because i think it burns up precious hydration. Does this make any sense, or is this just another weird idea that I get in head?
    I use gum cause I get cotton mouth fairly quickly, doesn't really matter how hydrated I stay. I would think the jerky would be a great source of protein.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I stop and bought two meals a week, until I tried them all, I made a list, of which ones I liked, which ones were ok and of course the ones that didn't make the list, but I also added which ones I liked that I thought were to messy to eat in the tent, so I could make sure and eat them during good weather, didn't have any restroom issues with any of them, I'm not a hard candy eater but I do take some hard peppermint with me, one for mouth order and two for climbing steep terrain to help keep water consumption down.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is my file I'm working on where I rate the backpacking meals I've tried. I tested these at home so I knew what I wanted on trips. Tortillas, hard cheese like the Hickory Farms smoked cheddar blend, and instant taters can make a more tasty and hearty meal for evenings. They also add weight so it's a personal choice. I've also taken single serving spam slices and ate them with cheese on tortillas for a lunch. Frying spam creates a pretty strong odor, may not be best in bear country or in your bowhunting clothes though. Tortillas with peanutbutter and honey also make a snack or lunch that will fuel me for a long afternoon.

Mountain house meal review

BEST
    -Chicken breast w/ rib meat
    -Chicken fajita filling (added some cheese and on tortillas, Great! Also would be good w/ rice) -Chicken & noodles (darn good by itself, or a real filling meal over mashed taters.)

OK (edible but not my favorites)
    lasagna
    beef stew (good w/ extra burger)
    chicken teriyaki
    Macaroini & cheese was decent, noodles were a little hard. Lots of extra cheese that could be used on mashed taters or something.
    Sweet & sour pork and rice best of the ones I ranked decent, good flavor pork doesn’t rehydrate as well as chicken. Beef either.

BAD
    -Beef stroganoff

Backpacker’s pantry reviews
    Fettuchini alfredo w/ chicken very good
    Colorado Omlette terrible, only ate 2 bites.
    Dark chocolate cheesecake ok at best. Nothing special.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    The Beef stroganoff is my favorite mountain house. Maybe because its usually cheaper. lol I usually mix some instant mashed potatoes into it.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love beef stroganoff made with fresh meat, but haven't really found any of the Mtn House meals I like the dehydrated burger in. Maybe I need to do something better to get it to rehydrate fully, or maybe I'm just to picky. I'm a full-time rancher and eat a lot of really good home raised beef. I can't expect dehydrated mtn house to match that for flavor. I don't each much chicken except in the backpacking food so I'm not giving the dehydrated stuff an unfair comparison.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 1 Post
    In my research when your 8 miles in and have been hiking/hunting/packing all day ANY mountain house is freaking delicious, especially with a touch of tobasco.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmont View Post
    In my research when your 8 miles in and have been hiking/hunting/packing all day ANY mountain house is freaking delicious, especially with a touch of tobasco.
    I agree. I took Tabasco with me to add a little spice and loved it. In fact I enjoyed most all my backcountry dehydrated meals. Some better than others but all were filling.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I might have missed some of these on your list so forgive me if I did;

Headlamp with extra batteries
    Compass to backup GPS
    Survival gear (i.e. space blanket, whistle, etc)
    Also, you have game bags so not sure why you would need 4 hefty bags?
    Sat phone or Spot system if you don't have cell service
    Possibly trekking poles depending on terrain
    Map
    Wind powder
    Surveyor flagging to mark blood trail, etc

Horniac