Thread: 38 Antelope

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

38 Antelope

Hello
    First time poster, long time reader. I drew 38 doe tags assuming that a lot of the public land I saw on the maps was accessible by the public.... on a scouting mission last week I was disappointed to find most are not. ;{ Ive found some good public spots , but they will be swamped opening day. I plan to let things cool down, till mid Nov or beginning of Dec. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I love that Speed Goat meat and don't want to go home empty handed.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome to EF! What state are you hunting in? Do you have a GPS and map chip? Good luck on your hunt!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I would assume he's talking about Wyoming with that number and his lack of public ground comments. Yes, I have a couple of tips. The first one is to check on what public land is available in a unit BEFORE you apply for a tag. The G&F website shows unit 38 as being a difficult unit for public access for a reason and you just found out why. Second is that if you have a Type 1 tag and want to kill a buck you'll have to do it in October because the tag is only good for a doe after October in the time frame that you said you thought you'd go. Please don't make a mistake and shoot the wrong sex on the tag in November or December when there is a tag restriction like that and in Wyoming you must, by law, maintain evidence of sex until the animal is at your home or a processor. Doing otherwise can be a big fine and possible license revocation for a time that is honored in about 40 states. Also, most bucks don't have horns as you get on into the month of November, which really means you need to look for the black cheek patch so you don't make a mistake and shoot a buck that has one. Have fun, be safe, and take some good glass with you to make sure you know what you're shooting is legal!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-17-2014 at 11:10 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Like Topgun said, that unit was available for a reason ... no public land. If that state (Wyoming?) is like Colorado and there are other leftover tags still available that DO have public land you may be able to turn that tag in and get another with more public land access.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishslayer9 View Post
    Hello
    First time poster, long time reader. I drew 38 doe tags assuming that a lot of the public land I saw on the maps was accessible by the public.... on a scouting mission last week I was disappointed to find most are not. ;{ Ive found some good public spots , but they will be swamped opening day. I plan to let things cool down, till mid Nov or beginning of Dec. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I love that Speed Goat meat and don't want to go home empty handed.
    Thanks
    38 what though? Wyoming? Antelope type 6 tags, after Nov 1st, change to a northern portion of the unit I think. So if your plan is to come out after Nov 1st, I'd def concentrate on the specific area that is mentioned in the regs. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Stick around and you'll most likely find your answer(s).
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker