Thread: 16A archery elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

16A archery elk

My Dad and I drew a 1st season 16A archery elk tag. I'm pretty excited! With my Dad getting older and the changes to the draw planned for nonresidents next year, I really want to make the most of this tag since I don't know if we'll ever get to hunt this unit together again.

I was wondering if anyone has hunted this unit before. A couple things I was wondering:
    - Are there any areas I should stay away from to avoid the crowds and outfitters?
    - What have you done about water? This question is really applicable to most places in the southwest, not just this unit. We drew a Gila unit a couple years ago and I broke my filter trying to get water from muddy water tank. We had to pack in water from the truck 2 miles to our base camp after that - not fun.
    - Is there anyone you'd reccomend to help us pack out an elk at a reasonable price? I don't mind doing the work, but given the limited amount of days to hunt, I'd rather not tire us out too much if we still have a chance to fill the other tag (very optimistic thinking, I know).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I drew the the third season tag so I am looking at the same type of questions. I have heard that there is a decently priced packer out of reserve but haven't got any contact info as of yet. I will be happy to share what I am able to find out.

Thanks
    Congratulations

16A 2nd Hunt

I drew 16A for the second bow hunt. This is my first time at 16A and would welcome any advice. I am hunting alone and would entertain hunting with someone else who has the same tag. This is actually my first elk hunt but have a lot of experience bow hunting whitetails, I just moved to NM from Texas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congrats on all of your tags I am from NM and have hunted this unit several times. GREAT UNIT good luck if you want pointers shoot me a PM