Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 302 Deer and Elk

Hello everyone. Since this is my first post I figure I should introduce myself. My name is Jesse, I have a wonderful wife and four kids who enjoy hunting as much as I do. I've been researching awhile and have my heart set on unit 302 for deer and elk next year. Plan is to take my wife, and Dad for his 50th birthday present. We are from Oregon so it will be quite the trip for multiple scouting trips. I will have 20 days or so to hunt at the start of the season. Would anyone be willing to give a good idea at what a mature deer and elk in the area looks like? ie 22inch four point/260 bull. And whether or not I should start trying to swap vacation slots to hunt the end of the season if that is more desirable? Or the pressure in the elk areas(900+hunters). Thanks for any information you can provide. I am more than willing to reciprocate if you are interested in Oregon. Thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    I have hunted 302 in the past and just a few notes. Even though 302 is unlimited deer permits for antlered deer it does requires a antlered deer permit which has to be applied for by march 15. Also if you draw the unlimited buck tag that is the only unit you can hunt antlered buck. There is quite a bit of private land in this unit and a small sliver of forest service land along the Idaho border. Many of the roads getting to the forest service land are pretty rugged so be prepared. I have seen quite a few deer in 302 in the past.
    The Elk #s are fair with a few decent bulls scattered around. I would try and hunt up towards the Idaho border if I was Elk hunting 302 even though it is tougher to get up there. Since you didn't mention what season you will be there the animals could be out of the high country. 302 used to be a draw for a Elk permit as well but I noticed it changed this year and no special permit is required unless you want a B tag.
    Last edited by 25contender; 08-22-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I have hunted 302 in the past and just a few notes. Even though 302 is unlimited deer permits for antlered deer it does requires a antlered deer permit which has to be applied for by march 15. Also if you draw the unlimited buck tag that is the only unit you can hunt antlered buck. There is quite a bit of private land in this unit and a small sliver of forest service land along the Idaho border. Many of the roads getting to the forest service land are pretty rugged so be prepared. I have seen quite a few deer in 302 in the past.
    The Elk #s are fair with a few decent bulls scattered around. I would try and hunt up towards the Idaho border if I was Elk hunting 302 even though it is tougher to get up there. Since you didn't mention what season you will be there the animals could be out of the high country. 302 used to be a draw for a Elk permit as well but I noticed it changed this year and no special permit is required unless you want a B tag.
    Thank you for your reply! I did see that it would be the only area we could deer hunt. My wife and Dad are the elk hunters of the bunch. I'm just going to try and get that part out of the way so I can focus on muleys :-). We have to rifle hunt so I can Bowhunt mule deer in Oregon with my daughter. If you hunt it next year swing by and have a drink with us. Soda until my muley is down. Then free Pendleton to camp visitors!