Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

FORD#1 headed to the BIG SKY!

After not drawing a Wyoming tag for units 73 and 83 (Mule Deer), and then finding a OTC Nebraska hunt to be undesirable at this time, we decided to purchase a leftover Montana tag. It appears that the leftover tags are there because of mule deer #s down and the price of the tags are a little steep.
    I called the Miles City office and was given a few general ideas. They pointed me toward the Broadus area west to the Custer National Forest.
    Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, or warnings would be appreciated. Also if we elected not to hunt opening week, would that be a deal breaker? And.....when does the 'Rut' start in that area?
    These may seem like simple questions, but as I mentioned in my introduction post (Greetings from Michigan), I have been out of the loop for quite awhile. There will be me and my nephew hunting, plus I have convinced my son to not make the same mistake I made. Take some time off of work (FOMOCO), and go hunting. He's goin! FORD#1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You made a good choice although those $600 deer tags in Montana are a little hard to swallow. I'd guess somewhere around the first of Nov the rut should be ramping up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck, sounds fun.

Ashland had a big fire a couple of years ago, so there will some burns to hunt. That might be on the Cheyenne Reservation, though. I am not sure. It was just smokey for that whole summer. It might be cool to look SE of Broadus, too. I have had to go up into Belle Creek area for work. Belle Creek might not even be on a lot of maps, lol. Its not exactly Detroit. There is some NF and BLM on the WY border down that way. I have seen some nice groups of muley's in there. There is a lot of private down there also, so the Miles City guys are probably right. That being said, private means whitetail, and there are some nice whitetails along the Powder River in MT feeding on the fields.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/recre...11f-5912-a506-

This article was about the rut, so skipping the opening week would put you closer to the peak of the rut. I didn't look at the season, but Nov. has traditionally been deer month from what I have heard. I have heard that Montana deer numbers are also down, but I think you have picked a good area. I am kindof a beginner, so I am learning a lot, too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Luck yu guys should have a great hunt !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll see you there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When it comes to the rut in SE MT, later is typically better. Thanksgiving sees a lot of bucks chasing does. The public land in that area will see a LOT of trucks, so keep that in mind.

Good luck!