Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Growing up in Wyoming, I never heard the term "auto gate" till my 20's when I was visiting Yellowstone and had a conversation with a tourist from back East. I had to ask him to explain what he considered an auto gate because I was thinking he was referring to a wire or powder river gate. Haha
    Libi... I had never heard the term until today. I was reading above and a bit confused at first...lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Libi... I had never heard the term until today. I was reading above and a bit confused at first...lol
    That makes two of us, as I hadn't until this thread! Auto Gate just doesn't seem to fit the description of a cattle guard!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    Another interesting term is "portagee gate". I came across this one while working in Northern Nevada when I ran into an old Portuguese sheep herder in the middle of nowhere, literally. He talked my ear off and fed me about a pot of range coffee. I was picking his brain about the best way to get around the country there and he kept telling me to follow this 2-track and that 2-track and go through 2 portagee gates then veer right and go through another portagee gate. I finally had to admit my ignorance and ask him what a portagee gate was and he pointed to a wire gate next to his wagon. Portagee gate = Wire gate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another interesting term is "portagee gate". I came across this one while working in Northern Nevada when I ran into an old Portuguese sheep herder in the middle of nowhere, literally. He talked my ear off and fed me about a pot of range coffee. I was picking his brain about the best way to get around the country there and he kept telling me to follow this 2-track and that 2-track and go through 2 portagee gates then veer right and go through another portagee gate. I finally had to admit my ignorance and ask him what a portagee gate was and he pointed to a wire gate next to his wagon. Portagee gate = Wire gate.
    We always refer to those as a "gap gate"! When they are real tight they can be a real witch to get closed if there isn't an iron fulcrum on the post to gain some leverage. Otherwise, it's put your shoulder against the top of the movable post holding the wires, push like heck, and hope you can get it close enough to drop the wire back over the top of the fixed post!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    We always refer to those as a "gap gate"!
    First time I heard that one! Hahaha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    First time I heard that one! Hahaha
    I refer to those as the passengers problem... There is always a good reason to drive.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click on this link and learn something boys, LOL! I'm surprised you western folk haven't heard of that name. The link uses some big words, but there are pictures for you to look at showing what I was talking about that makes it a lot easier to open and close one. Click on the first image and it will enlarge and then you can follow through to look at the rest of the pictures. It's really a very simple, slick way to make that type of gate much easier to use.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6241217
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-22-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    I'm in Southern IL and have grown up around cattle. We call them cattle guards around here. Also, I've heard the wire gates (which we have several) referred to as cowboy gates.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Click on this link and learn something boys, LOL! I'm surprised you western folk haven't heard of that name. The link uses some big words, but there are pictures for you to look at showing what I was talking about that makes it a lot easier to open and close one. Click on the first image and it will enlarge and then you can follow through to look at the rest of the pictures. It's really a very simple, slick way to make that type of gate much easier to use.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6241217
    We have that kind of modern technology here too, lol. The wire loops are way cheaper, though. Sometimes I wonder how much trespassing (or driving on roads without easememts) I get away with, hopefully my lucky streak continues.

I thought auto gate was a Nebraska/Eastern thing until Hilltop said he didn't know what they were. What is a Powder River gate or do I not want to know?
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 08-22-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I am very farmiliar with the "portagee gate", but Im 1/4 so I guess that explains it! "Auto gate" and "gap gate" are new ones to me and sound like they came to be in Michigan somewhere! HAHA!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."