Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pheasant Hunting in the Billings, Mt/Cody, Wy Area

My girlfriend has expressed interest in getting into upland bird hunting which came to shock to me! She has never hunted and barley has fired a gun. I know this is the wrong forum to talk about "canned" hunts and I've never paid to hunt on private property but I think to give her a good first experience with plenty of action a pay to hunt place would be the way to go. Anyone have any recommendations around Billings or North Western Wyoming for this?
    Last edited by wyomingben; 08-24-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    For a beginner sometimes trap shoots can be just as fun without the pressure of actually hitting a bird. They are honestly similar to your "canned" hunts depending on what type of a shoot you go to. My wife and sister in law are both just starting to shoot trap in preparation for actual bird hunting. I think the next step is a beginners sporting clay shoot. It is a little competitive but the disappointment of a miss is nothing like missing a rooster. I think its a way to improve skill while still having almost as much fun as hunting the birds. A few sessions of this and a real wild pheasant hunt will be realistic. All of that said- I am only aware of one bird farm in Wyoming and it is in the eastern part of the state. You can look up Springer Pheasant hunts...not sure what they provide these days I just always heard about them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://www.wingshootingusa.org/WSUSA...D=A6UJ9A002MEF

There is one by Clearmont and one in Hulette for me, and one Torrington for Hilltop I think, but Hilltop is right in the middle of one of the best areas from what I have heard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok Thanks, I will check that one out in Powell and am planning on getting her in on some trap shooting first. Public walk in hunting areas around here are not bad but well hunted. Her idea of getting ready for this is looking at recipes, so if we go and get skunked on her first day she may lose interest quick.
    Last edited by wyomingben; 08-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    lol, I haven't done a lot of bird hunting, but it is a blast and she might be hooked, too. I haven't been on the one in Powell, but usually on places like that you at least have an opportunity at a few birds. Well, have fun. I think I am going to try to one of the ones around here this fall. It looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    If I remember correctly, there's a bird farm around Manderson somewhere as well.