Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Flying with Firearms

This is my first time flying with my rifle. I recently purchased an airline approved hardcase. Am I required to lock the case with TSA approved locks or can I leave the case unlocked. I have seen conflicting information. Also do I have to separate the ammo in another duffle bag/pack or does it need to go in the case with my rifle. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will want to lock the case. Last I knew you had to have your ammo separate from the firearm. The other thing I remember is if they want to check anything with your luggage, you have to be present.

newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Flying with firearms, you can't use the curbside check in.
    Just a tip I learned the hard way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Long shank Masterlocks. Do not use TSA locks. You will have to open the case at check-in and they will inspect it there. The intent is that once checked in it cannot be accessed by anyone inside a secured area, therefore no TSA locks. I fly with a rifle occasionally and find it real easy to do once you do it once. Have a lock on every spot that holds one on the case.

You can now have either 7 or 11 pounds of ammo in ammo boxes in your gun case. Print your airlines policy on firearms and keep it with you. Sometimes the employees don't know their own policies and you have to show it to them.
    Last edited by buzz mc; 08-22-2014 at 06:42 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to buzz mc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm flying out a week from tomorrow. From what I've researched and what my outfitter sent. The ammo has to be in your other bag. You should put a good lock for the gun case, they can only look thru it with you present.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

Link to TSA regs. You need to cross-reference them to your airline's policy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz mc View Post
    Long shank Masterlocks. Do not use TSA locks. You will have to open the case at check-in and they will inspect it there. The intent is that once checked in it cannot be accessed by anyone inside a secured area, therefore no TSA locks. I fly with a rifle occasionally and find it real easy to do once you do it once. Have a lock on every spot that holds one on the case.

You can now have either 7 or 11 pounds of ammo in ammo boxes in your gun case. Print your airlines policy on firearms and keep it with you. Sometimes the employees don't know their own policies and you have to show it to them.
    X2 lock with your own locks but be prepared for them to have a look inside. I've gone with no search with no problems and searched before still with no problems.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Keep a roll of duct tape in your carry on bag. After TSA does their thing put a wrap of duct tape around the case at all the latch points. Even on a good case I don't trust the piano style hinge to hold up under the treatment the airline might inflict on it; the tape is a little added strength to the case. In addition to whatever ID tags might go on the case, I got a set of stencils and spray painted my last name on my case.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sheephunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've always traveled with bullets in one checked bag(declare them) and gun separate in a gun case. Last time I traveled, which was in 2012 to AK, they made me buy 2 TSA approved locks and take mine off(not sure if that was required). My mistake would be that I didn't have the printed rules, so I just did as told and everything went fine. They also told me I had to have at least 2 locks. I'm not sure why I was required to have the new locks, because once you sign the slip in the presence of the attendant and lock it, that should be sufficient. As stated, it all went well though!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Print the regs from your airline. No TSA locks. Ammo in original box or reloading box. Declare and have fun. Also don't watch the baggage handlers take it off the plane, you will cringe when they bounce it off the concrete!