Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have flown many times with firearms and no TSA locks, usually with ammunition in the case. Both are permitted by TSA regulations. TSA sets the rules, but certain airlines like to tweak them, which is why it is best to have a print out of both rules. However, TSA locks on gun cases are not permitted. Despite TSA's claim of a universal policy for firearms treatment, there are certain changes from airline to airline, and airport to airport. If it is against TSA regulations, show them the regs., and challenge any requirement that you change to TSA locks. Those locks are a joke in my opinion. I have had them left unlocked, broken, and lost by TSA agents.

Some other points to ponder. Ship your guns in a quality, heavy duty case, with a good integral locking system. My favorites are Americase, Ziegel, and Bear Track. Pelican also makes a good hard plastic gun case. If you want to travel incognito, put your guns in soft cases, and pack them in a golf bag hard case, using clothing as padding. You will still have to declare your guns. No matter what you use. At one time some of the airlines offered gun cases for rent.

The decision to pack ammunition in your duffel, or gun case is up to you, with the exception of certain airlines. Ask yourself what would happen, if your ammunition was lost. Can you find ammunition for your wildcat .338 Super Whiz Bang in South Texas, Namibia, or the Canadian bush? When traveling, it makes a lot of sense to carry firearms in standard chamberings. A few years back, I went on a handgun hunt in the Texas Hill Country. I brought one gun chambered for a wildcat, but also brought a Savage Striker in .308 Win., and an S & W 629 DL in .44 Magnum. I shipped my ammunition by Fed Ex to arrive before the hunt, but it never arrived. It was finally located at the Fed Ex terminal in San Antonio, and was picked up on the last day of the hunt. Because of the standard chamberings, I was able to scrounge a box each of .308 and .44 Magnum. The wildcat never made it out of the case.

For what it is worth, I have found United, Southwest, Air France, and Delta to be the most gun friendly, with American and BC Air being the least gun friendly. If traveling out of the country, be sure to get proof of ownership from U.S. Customs before you leave.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I always put the ammo boxes in the gun case, also some other equipment like cleaning rods. Make sure you re-sight in your rifle after you land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Print out the TSA specific REGS.

I haven't flown in a while but last time I did you did not have to use TSA locks.
    Get the best lock you can get through the fittings on the case.
    You have to open at check in but you don't have to provide combo or keys after that.
    Mark the case clearly with contact information.
    Double check all baggage tags and documents and it doesn't hurt to record serial numbers and photograph all firearms prior (insurance purposes). Check the policy on ammo. I think I packed it in a locked pelican case inside the same larger case.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I flew my gun going to North Dakota, TSA in Virginia was fine with 2 regular locks on each end of my case. Going from North Dakota back the TSA in North Dakota had me lock it on both ends, then they attempted to pry it open and because they could open the case about 1/2" they made me get another lock which was a major chore/scramble in a 2 terminal airport in North Dakota at 4 am.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    My experience has been everything changes from airport to airport and tsa to tsa no one has the same rule book, the last time I had my own locks on .the locks were thrown in the case and my stuff and went from point a to point b unlocked, so the last time I flew I used tsa locks and had no issues.