Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to Westen hunting

I am currently living in Casper, WY and am thinking I will wait till next year when I become a resident to hunt Wyoming. That being said I have been thinking of other places to hunt this year (CO, ID, MT) I'm wanting Elk and/or Mule deer. I'm kind of leaning towards the general deer/elk combo in Montana and trying the beaverhead-deerlodge NF. If you were in my position where would you guys choose to go? Also I see everyone talking about scouting before the hunt. I'm all for it, but was curious on ways to go about doing it if you weren't able to physically be there. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Google earth, hunting forums and calling the biologist/game wardens for the areas Im thinking of are are the ways I do it, living in PA its the next best thing to being there. Im hunting unit 270 in MT this year, but last year I did a solo bow hunt in the Crazy Mountains (unit 315) and saw elk, and had the release on the bow on one occasion, I put that hunt together using the above. If I lived in WY, Id be buying one of the left over combo license and driving up to MT for sure, heck you live close enough to put some miles on your boots and scout!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apparition For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try and make it up there to get familiar with the land but just not sure I will have enough time to get much scouting in. I'm just excited at the opportunities that lie ahead of me. I've always wanted to hunt elk and mule deer just never had the opportunity.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Your in the rite place. So a few searches here on the forum on scouting. There is a ton of scouting info here. Also you have to put your time in. Scout as much as you possibly can. Get to know the area your hunting. I've had good success in ID for deer and elk. Plan on lots of other hunters in OTC hunts. When you choose your location call the bio and ask questions.

Good luck
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post: