Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Opener or later?

Good Morning: Thought I'd get your opinion from you veteran antelope hunters. Do you have a preference as to when you like to hunt. If you had just one chance to do the hunt would you choose to go on the opener or wait 'til later in the season? I'll have to make that choice this year as being a non-resident from Michigan I can only make the trip once. Your opinions are greatly appreciated! By the way, the unit I drew is Hunt Unit 73. If anyone has any tidbits of info. that could they could share with me that would be most valuable and appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I NEVER hunt opening week! Just too many hunters in the field. I really like the last week, which is usually just before deer & elk opener and I try to hunt everything if I can. The last few years I have not been able to hunt deer and elk, but I still hunt the later part of the antelope season.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I like to hunt antelope around the first week of October. The opener is usually the most crowded so I try to avoid it. I have not hunted 73 but its a good area and you should have no problem finding a nice antelope there. Good Luck on your hunt and be sure to post pics for us!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevan View Post
    Good Morning: Thought I'd get your opinion from you veteran antelope hunters. Do you have a preference as to when you like to hunt. If you had just one chance to do the hunt would you choose to go on the opener or wait 'til later in the season? I'll have to make that choice this year as being a non-resident from Michigan I can only make the trip once. Your opinions are greatly appreciated! By the way, the unit I drew is Hunt Unit 73. If anyone has any tidbits of info. that could they could share with me that would be most valuable and appreciated. Thanks.
    It depends. If the area is heavily hunted, then hunting the opener is not a bad idea, especially if you are looking for a better then average buck. In moderate to low hunter areas, later can be better because you are virtually alone and the experience can be better. Available public land factors in as well.

I used to hunt an area with only a few larger sections of public land, and tags were available leftover. Those few small sections got pounded to death. There were some good bucks in there, but they either got killed or moved off onto adjacent ranches after the shooting started. My brother and I used to get to our spot before light on opening day and head in on foot a few miles. We'd have our bucks down within a few hours of sunrise. In that same area toward the end of the season it was very difficult to find an antelope, let alone a buck.

I think in 73 you will be find coming out later if you have to. If I had the tag, though, since they give out a fair amount, I'd go around the last week of September or the first week of October. The opener is over, and the weather has less of a chance to turn on you (it still could easily be nasty).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    In Wyoming, where you have long seasons, I always hunt later. I generally like two weekends of the season to pass, which weeds out 90% of the hunters. Then I prefer to hunt mid week rather than weekends to weed out when locals might show up. Antelope tend to go back to their old patterns 3 to 5 days after being pressured, and hunting later can feel like you have the place all to yourself, hunting undisturbed animals.

Also it that timing is after October 1, a lot of guys have moved on to deer hunting which just helps reduce the pressure.

The only time I will ever hunt the opener again is if I have no other choice due to my schedule.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've only hunted area 73 twice and it was the last 2 weeks of October. I had most of the zone to myself. I'm saving up points so I can draw deer & antelope tags for a combo hunt. Just make sure you have good tires and 4WD the roads can get sloppy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The last week or two of the season if you have a choice like you say you do. There will still be a lot of good bucks around and you'll not see much orange!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted a lot around Casper and Glenrock but have not hunted in 73 , I think you will see a lot of antelope on the front or the back end of the season. With the public land in 73 I would hunt anytime after the 1st week but I also have the past few years really like the last week of the season for the reasons mentioned above. I think your going to have a great hunt whatever time you choose. Post pictures !