Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Well why didn't you just say the guy was a jackass, LOL! I'd be polite and not get into a big tussle if you run into him again, but I'd let him know he's not too ethical. Not that it will matter to him though if he has his head up his butt as far as it sounds like he does!
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I will say hi & point him in the opposite direction of the elk!!! Maybe right to where I know a game warden hangs out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had the same thing happen to me. Felt sorry for a guy I had just met because he had been hunting elk for years and never tagged one. My buddy and I took him to one of our honey holes, and as luck would have it...he tagged a raghorn bull. He left for home (out of state) happy as all get out. My buddy and I were happy that we helped the guy out.
    Untill the next year, when he showed up ahead of us and set-up his camp in our spot...with a huge wall tent and 5 of his friends!
    NEVER again, that's for sure & for certain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How did you not throat punch the guy? Man that is low. I have 1 guy I hunt with just 1 and I can guarantee he won't pull that crap and neither will I.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I guess we have all had the same nightmares,I went elk hunting with a guy took him to my hunting spot I found, he set up a tree stand I set up a ground blind, he wasn't seeing any elk,I was seeing elk just didn't have a shot yet, offered for him to hunt in the blind with me, big herd of elk came in instead of waiting till we both had a shot he just hurried up and shot his, elk I went home empty handed, didn't even offer any meat and that was after helping him clean and get it out..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Almost all of us have had similar situations.
    I am still ticked from taking a guy into my "private land" honey hole.
    I actually introduced the guy to the land owner and never imagined that within one season he would become the "Gatekeeper" and I would have to get his permission to hunt.
    Absolutely ruined a friendship and damaged a lot of other relationships.

I moved on and learned a super-valuable lesson.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    That's too bad, which brings us to our next topic I've been thinking about. What about backpackers packing lets say 5 miles in on the Thursday before Saturday opener and someone "claims" their camping/hunting spot a week ahead of season by setting up his tent in the basin you were planning on hunting and leaving it until opening day?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    "Neighbors!" Just kind of depends on whether you are willing to tolerate company.
    Or their tactic worked?

It's funny, every wrinkle of this thread reminds me of another encounter.

I had the same thing happen one year (when I was a lot younger and more stubborn).
    We camped about 200yards away and hunted the next drainage!!!!!

Oh and they hunted the opening morning then moved on pissing and moaning as they broke camp..... It's public land. I got yelled at by two guys who were sleeping in the cab of their truck as we walked by their truck.

If you go all in on a spot and someone else does the same you just have to deal with it. At some point you have to share or move on to plan B.

I had a group of hunters block an open logging road a few hundred yards before the basin.
    We just politely backed out and drove around and hunted the escape routes from the roadblock folks who "owned the basin".
    Last edited by OregonJim; 08-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have no problem with someone else hunting in the same spot, or camping a couple hundred yards away. The area I hunt is mostly private. The public land I hunt can be walked in a day. I run into hunters all the time, so I'm very use to it. It gets frustrating on the days when you run into 20 people and no elk! The black hills get pounded by hunters. When deer season starts its 10X worse. At one time I believe that for every 5 deer taken in Wyo, 3 were taken out of the black hills. Now, you are lucky to see 5 deer a day hunting elk. Hunting is getting extremely popular, so when someone takes your camping spot or honey hole that you showed them, it can eat at you pretty bad.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    DR, I've always felt that if your there first then it's yours and others should move on. It seems that for me it doesn't really work. I've set up camp two days before opening day and not a sole in sight then the next day the area just filled up and Monday cared that I was there first. I ended up moving on to a new area. First come first serve doesn't seem to work. I think it should.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This reconfirms my already strongly held belief....never, ever, ever, and I mean never, ever, never show your honey hole to someone you don't fully and 100% trust, and who you have explained your expectations of trust too, and who has agreed to them no matter what...you CAN'T feel sorry for someone and show them the spot.....I have a spot that's been good to me, and it pains me but I can't tell people where I hunt, I have to tell them a drainage 10 miles away, I have to lie, mislead, and keep my mouth shut....but a good elk spot is priceless, I spend all year thinking about it and google scouting to find spots that look like it
    Last edited by njdoxie; 08-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.