Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Mexico unit 16D elk tag

My dad drew a limited mobility rifle tag early October in unit 16D. I am heading down to hopefully help pack out an elk. Just wondering what to expect down there? Will there be elk everywhere or will we have to work hard to locate a big one? Used to hunting eastern oregon so I know the topography will be different. Don't need any specific areas but would just like to know if this is going to be a fun hunt and worth the trip. I know hunting with my dad and brother will make it all worth it but seeing some nice elk wouldn't hurt. Thanks in advance. Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your dad filling his tag. Stick around for awhile and be a part of the forum and I'm sure you will get some useful info.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. Been an Eastmans subscriber for 20 years and a follower online for quite sometime with my brother and I doing some posts but I finally got my own account all figured out.
    Good luck to all this fall. Shoot straight

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    You may want to look way up in the northern part of the unit not too far from where it borders unit 15. I hunted 15 with a ML for mulies back in 2003 not too far north of the unit boundary north of Aragon. I don't know what the southern part of unit 16D is like, but I think your Dad could get around halfway decent up in the northern part if he has some physical restrictions and probably see some elk, as that country up in that area is a lot better for elk than it was for deer.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.