Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 10 Times in 4 Posts

    license type 6 or 7

    Looking at the possibility of taking my dad to wyoming for a cow hunt. Looking at the leftover tag list, I see that area 48 and 49 have some tags left, but also noticed the "type 6 or 7" listed as well. I think I read that the type 6 limits where you can hunt "within a mile of irrigation" maybe? What is the Type 7? Also, I would welcome any info/advice on the areas around Ten Sleep. (I do plan on ordering the maps and looking at Google earth, as was suggested in another post.

    Great site by the way.

    Not sure I can offer much info / knowledge in exchange as have not done anything but turkey, deer and bear.
    Last edited by Bcon; 08-24-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: duplicate post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,220
    Thanks
    1,281
    Thanked 667 Times in 572 Posts
    Congratulations
    198
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    The different hunt types can be different from 1 unit to another. You need to look at the regs for that specific unit for the definition of each hunt type.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    The different hunt types can be different from 1 unit to another. You need to look at the regs for that specific unit for the definition of each hunt type.
    Perfect. Thank you, I will keep searching.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 326 Times in 245 Posts
    Congratulations
    44
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    48-6 runs just the three weeks that the regular rifle season runs (10/9-10/31). 49-7 runs from 10/9 through 12/22. I hunt that entire area out there every year for different animals and have for 20 years. There are not enough elk on the public land in either of those units (including deer unit 164 that is almost all BLM) if you don't know exactly where to go, so I would strongly suggest you not waste your time and money. To even get on a ranch with a cow tag is expensive out there. In fact, most ranches want more for an access fee than the cow tag costs and some want over $1000 for a very short hunt. That's why all those tags are still on the leftover list.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-24-2014 at 11:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,220
    Thanks
    1,281
    Thanked 667 Times in 572 Posts
    Congratulations
    198
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Here is the link to the regs you need to look at. As TG said most if not all areas with leftover tags have poor access, are mostly private land, have low elk numbers or all of the above and will most likely be a tough hunt at best.

    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme...NED0005673.pdf
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Here is the link to the regs you need to look at. As TG said most if not all areas with leftover tags have poor access, are mostly private land, have low elk numbers or all of the above and will most likely be a tough hunt at best.

    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme...NED0005673.pdf
    Thanks! I have access to a private ranch, cost is very reasonable. I will be looking at the info you sent, thank you very much. Also, that makes a lot more sense with the different tag types.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't waste the time or money. We got cow tags for area 48 a few years ago since we were hunting deer & antelope in that direction. We couldn't find elk on public land. The more we looked the more we learned it wasn't our kind of area

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Manualman, thanks for the info. I am fortunate enough to have access to some private ground in this area, hopefully that helps. I really is my only option this year. I am curious as to what (other than the lack of elk on public) made it "not your kind of area". Again, just curious, I have tons to learn, that is for sure.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 326 Times in 245 Posts
    Congratulations
    44
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcon View Post
    Manualman, thanks for the info. I am fortunate enough to have access to some private ground in this area, hopefully that helps. I really is my only option this year. I am curious as to what (other than the lack of elk on public) made it "not your kind of area". Again, just curious, I have tons to learn, that is for sure.
    Nice to tell us that after you made your original post like you were hoping to just go out and find some public land to hunt on! If you have access to a ranch, why didn't or don't you just ask them what your opportunity would be to fill a tag! It's also very easy to see what the type is for in a particular unit by doing exactly what MM stated and simply reading the application booklet and Final Regulations on the G&F website. In this case the types are strictly season dates and have nothing to do with ground restrictions. You've obviously been on the G&F website to see that there are leftover tags and all it would have taken was 5 more minutes at most to answer your own questions. Most members will offer up some information if they see a person has done some homework ahead of time and the first thing one should do is cover the G&F website thoroughly. Send me a PM if you'd care to give me the name of the ranch you might be able to hunt and I'll tell you whether it's worth buying a tag and going out there. Over the 20 years I've hunted out there I know a lot of the ranchers and whether one ranch would be worth hunting and another wouldn't. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-26-2014 at 04:06 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Topgun: First, I guess somehow here I must have messed something up. In no way was I trying to "hide" anything, I was truly just asking what the area was like, I have never been there, have a chance to go do this cow hunt, but have not even met these folks. Kind of a "friend of a friend" kind of thing. This was nothing more than me being excited about finding a web site where I might be able to learn anything I could from folks that seemed like they were willing to talk about some elk hunting stuff. I am truly starting at zero as far as knowledge of this game is concerned, so again, if I broke some kind of rule of etiquette here, I apologize. It is obvious that my questions upset you, that was not my intention. Also, I have been looking at the G@F site, and I could find the leftover tags, but I could not locate where it said anything about the type 6 or 7, I thought that was a fair question and the only reason I asked about restrictions is because I thought I read that somewhere.

    Hey, here is the deal. I am a total rookie when it comes to elk hunting and it looks like I made a rookie mistake with my questioning.

    Thanks for your help.


    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Nice to tell us that after you made your original post like you were hoping to just go out and find some public land to hunt on! If you have access to a ranch, why didn't or don't you just ask them what your opportunity would be to fill a tag! It's also very easy to see what the type is for in a particular unit by doing exactly what MM stated and simply reading the application booklet and Final Regulations on the G&F website. In this case the types are strictly season dates and have nothing to do with ground restrictions. You've obviously been on the G&F website to see that there are leftover tags and all it would have taken was 5 more minutes at most to answer your own questions. Most members will offer up some information if they see a person has done some homework ahead of time and the first thing one should do is cover the G&F website thoroughly. Send me a PM if you'd care to give me the name of the ranch you might be able to hunt and I'll tell you whether it's worth buying a tag and going out there. Over the 20 years I've hunted out there I know a lot of the ranchers and whether one ranch would be worth hunting and another wouldn't. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •