Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post

First time muzzleloader???

In my home state of Wyoming muzzleloader hunters don't have a lot of options. However I apply and/or hunt in WY, AZ, CO, UT, and NV every year. I have primarily hunted archery with a few rifle hunts. I would like to start muzzloader hunting for something new and something that can fill my void in later September between archery and most rifle seasons. Any suggestions on gear I wanna buy myself and my father inlines for Christmas so we are go come application season? Thanks for any help!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Do you have a rifle now? How much research have you done on caliber, powders, bullets, etc?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    CVA makes several good but inexpensive models that would make for a good starter muzzle loader. Keep in mind that each state will have different laws that will dictate what you can and can't use. Some states like Nebraska allow everything out there but other states limit scopes, bullets and more. Spend the time researching what state/states you want to apply before spending the cash so you don't buy equipment that can't be used where you want to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You need an inline that can fire on more than one ignition system. I chose a knight disc extreme with western ignition kit when I was in the same boat as you.

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I use a time and tested TC. Consider the Encore with a .50 cal barrel and you can't go wrong. Easy to mount optics where they can legally be used (most states) or removed when you get a tag for one of the few states that still won't allow the use of a scope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevan View Post
    I use a time and tested TC. Consider the Encore with a .50 cal barrel and you can't go wrong. Easy to mount optics where they can legally be used (most states) or removed when you get a tag for one of the few states that still won't allow the use of a scope.
    agree 100%
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CVA, Traditions or T/C. Look at all if you can and make sure it feels good when you shoulder it. Every state has different laws, loose powder VS pellets, sabots VS full caliber bullets, scopes or open sights. I hunt in Pennsylvania where it's "flintlock" only during muzzle loader season

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now sportsman's warehouse has the cva accura stainless/black for $349 (good price by itself) plus $50 off purchases over $270 this week. So only $299 for a really nice ML. It does not have the versatility for ignition others do for some western restrictions but most places it's a $399-$449 gun. It has nice features and a good reputation for accuracy. I sold my omega years ago and have yet to replace it, but I'm going to get an accura this week.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    All of those states will allow the standard 209 ignition systems, but you do have a mix of states that allow scopes vs open sights. If you're going to do both, just find a good price on a package with a scope, and buy the open sights, as you'll usually get a better deal that way. If you like to shoot longer ranges, I would go with the Vortek StrikerFire LDR, or the Accura V2. If you just want something for a starter muzzleloader, the CVA Wolf or the Thompson Center Impact would be two great choices.

Overall, you're going to enjoy any of the rifles that have been mentioned. They all come down to personal preference and a few minor differences in features. Good luck, and let us know what you choose!
    Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com & www.WaderUSA.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for all of the helpful advice guys! Really appreciate it!