Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cancellation Hunts

Does anybody know a good website that lists cancellation elk hunts? I'm still looking for an elk hunt this fall and I'm thinking a cancellation will be my best bet to get in with a good outfitter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Unless you can find a broker, you almost have to deal with each outfitter individually. My advice would be to pick a state & area, then look up the outfitters and contact them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That may be tough because it would have to be in a state that has transferrable landowner vouchers like CO and NM. Rule out Wyoming because landowner tags can't be transferred to others in that state. Click on this link and start checking things out:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cancell...531d0817f3d606
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-25-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I throw a little caution in the air. I did exactly what you are looking to do three years ago. I got a 7500 dollar hunt for 5000 including lo tag in NM unit 16c archery. . What happened when I started calling around was one outfitter told me that he had two cancellations and needed to know pretty quick. If not he was gonna move on. I understand that because he didn't want to get hung with LO tags and no hunters. But what did happen was he had to find another guide. Easiest way I know to put it is. The outfitter was a good guy and one of his guides was a killer. But owner/ outfitter was guiding a hunter 1x1 and they backpacked for several days at a time. We stayed in the ranch house at base camp and owner/outfitter was not around. the guide I got was lazy and every morning except one or two we left the camp when it was breaking day. I finally got mad the fourth day and we left camp 30 min before daylight the last two mornings. I only saw 2 bulls and they were 200 yards away plus.
    So just be careful. You can never ask to many questions. I always say that I am going to ask all these questions, but I get so caught up in the moment that I want to be there, I never do. Biggest question is to ask for a lot references.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger10 View Post
    Does anybody know a good website that lists cancellation elk hunts? I'm still looking for an elk hunt this fall and I'm thinking a cancellation will be my best bet to get in with a good outfitter.
    This late in the game I would go with a reputable broker.... There is some pretty scary stuff out there so be careful. In your shoes I would likely contact Cabela's. You would be paying them a little money but their job is to sift through the bad ones to find you a decent hunt. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the input. Its sounding like I would be better off planning a hunt for next year right now, rather than trying to snag a last minute deal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You nailed it. Trying to figure out a last minute bargain elk hunt has lots of risk. Some outfitters are scoundrels and will do anything to make a $.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check this guy out, he has great reviews on bowsite. http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...ue#Post3385176

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I would stay away from this as well. Even at a discounted rate these are expensive and the chances of a bad one are increased on these hunts.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!