Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post

What do you do during the day?

I'm going on my first mule deer hunt (archery, unit 79 Wyoming), and I wondered what you bowhunters did during the middle of the day? Obviously the best hunting will be in the morning and evening, but what should I do during the day? There is a bunch of timber in our unit, so I could possibly still hunt...I have a cow elk tag too if that makes any difference. I'll probably do a little fishing, and maybe some scouting, but I wondered what others would suggest?

There is a little above timberline stuff, so it is possible to have a lengthy stalk, but I'm talking more about other times.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 8 Posts
    Rest, put a card game or some sort on your phone to pass the time. Usually the only down time I have is when I've put a animal to bed and am waiting for him to stand up. If not I will continue to look for other good areas to hunt and glass the shade for bedded animals.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Rest, put a card game or some sort on your phone to pass the time. Usually the only down time I have is when I've put a animal to bed and am waiting for him to stand up. If not I will continue to look for other good areas to hunt and glass the shade for bedded animals.
    Rest if you need it. Check out other areas. If you find fresh sign, still hunting timber stands into the wind could produce. Walk the edge country and water sources to check for sign.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You would be amazed at how many deer actually move between the hours of 11am - 3pm. I have seen a lot of deer get out of their beds and relocate to a new spot due water, sun position, or stretching. I like to go back to camp and eat a good breakfast and then head back to areas that I can get some shade and glass. A lot of stalks happen during these hours for me. Other times I just take a nap and get ready for the evening hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I take naps in the sun! In between my napping I do some glassing and look for bucks moving or laying in the shade. I love napping in the sun during the early seasons!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Find a horseshoe and play a game of horseshoes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Like Cokeman said, animals do move around during the middle of the day, although it's usually close to their bedding areas, so I'm always worried about disturbing them too much at that time. I have hiked up high in the morning, packed a lunch and stayed out all day long and then come back in the evening. It makes for a long day, and it can still be very hard to stay awake once you have lunch in your belly and the sun is nice and warm. Typically I come back to camp for lunch and maybe doze off for a little bit (just short cat naps). I bring a radio with me and try to pull in a station to listen to music or a football game, just to help spend the time. Playing cards, games, fishing, etc. are all good ideas to help spend the time until it's time to go out for the evening hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Thank you all.

What I really wondered was whether most of you tried to hunt all day or took a mid-day break. It sounds like most take a break, but some hunt all day. I'll probably try both and see what suits me. Since I'm not familiar with the area, I plan on coming back to camp and possibly driving to new areas to check them out during the mid-day early in the hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I'm hunting out of a camp/truck camping and there is a stream is nearby, I'll cast some flies in search of hungry trout.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    I spend months waiting for this time of year to arrive... so much time, money, energy, and strategizing goes into these hunts. That said, I spend as much time hunting as possible. I do however make time to fish and hunt small game and birds when possible.

Depending on the weather, the cow elk may be doable during the mid day... I like to use a calf call in heavy timber to peak the curiosity of cows. It has worked for me on numerous occasions. Usually the animals that respond are younger cows that just don't know better.... A little less weight to pack out but they sure do make good table fare.

Basically, if you have the energy, hunt as much as possible would be my opinion. It's not like we get to do this all year long...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post: