Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good book

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts

A good book

Getting ready to roll out at the end of next week, for 2 weeks in the Idaho backcountry.

I've never taken a book before, as I didn't want to deal with the little bit of added extra weight, but after a few years of dialing in the pack, and more than a few mid afternoons spent just staring off into the timber, I think I might take a book with me this year.

Anyone got any must reads? I've heard great things about 'Death in the Long Grass', and may consider it.

Thoughts?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Put it on your phone, lighter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Cam Hanes book [Backcountry Bowhunting] is excellent, but heavy. Don't know if there is a digital copy. Might be a great source of inspiration/energy and an idea engine as you work your tail off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess if you want to have nightmares about wolves and bears Death in the Long Grass might be a good read, lol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I guess if you want to have nightmares about wolves and bears Death in the Long Grass might be a good read, lol.
    This is a legitimate concern... I have been know to get nervous when the wind blows a little harder than normal.

Mebbe I'll just read Winnie the Pooh instead.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In the past I usually go to the used book store and just look around until I find something interesting. If you get stranded for an extra week and need TP you won't be tearing up a $25 book.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Never in Doubt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Into the Wild, the movie sucked but the book is good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm in the middle of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about Louis Zamperini. It will make you scoff at any aches and pains you might be feeling. I recommend it highly!

I took Alaska Bear Tales, about a bunch of the bear maulings in Alaska, when I was on a solo Goat hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. Not the best read for a hunt like that!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    I'm in the middle of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about Louis Zamperini. It will make you scoff at any aches and pains you might be feeling. I recommend it highly!

I took Alaska Bear Tales, about a bunch of the bear maulings in Alaska, when I was on a solo Goat hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. Not the best read for a hunt like that!!
    That sounds like a good reason to end the hunt early reading bear mauling stories! Either you have huge jewels or really didn't think that one through to well cuz its hard enough staying focused on a hunt like that and to throw bear maulings into the mix....I don't know if I am that mentally tough enough!, ha ha!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Country View Post
    That sounds like a good reason to end the hunt early reading bear mauling stories! Either you have huge jewels or really didn't think that one through to well cuz its hard enough staying focused on a hunt like that and to throw bear maulings into the mix....I don't know if I am that mentally tough enough!, ha ha!
    I don't think it was mental toughness on my part...more likely mental vacancy! It sure made every noise at night outside my tent very vivid!