Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As long as you can find or load ammo, either of them will do the job. Despite personal preference and all of the hoopla over which one is the best, there is little difference in the accuracy/killing power of any of the .30 Magnums. I have owned and killed animals with the .308 Norma, .300 Win., .300 WSM, and .300 Weatherby. With similar shot placement and bullets, all were effective on elk and deer, and all were plenty accurate for hunting rifles.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Those are very good points, i have decided to go with the .300 RCM. Hopefully i can give it the chance to do work in a few weeks!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    It ain't what you use. It's how you use what you use. Yesterday morning a guide told me while he was quartering an elk that he'd much prefer one of his hunters use a .270 Win that he can shoot as opposed to a magnum that he can't.

Keep in mind that nothing lives long without its heart and or lungs. What destroys that ain't as important as that they are destroyed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SansSouci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW, we're I to buy another rifle, it would a Tikka .280 Rem, or another Sako were I able to afford one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by burns51 View Post
    I already own the 2 rifles the other I bought a few years ago. It is the Remington 710 300 win mag. It is light but it is a cheap rifle and not sure how dependable it is. I have taken many animals with it and it has held a good group for a cheap rifle. One of my main concerns is if the 300 rcm is going to stick around or is it going to fade away. I guess time will only tell.
    I have an old hunting buddy who bought a Remington promotional rifle many years ago. That rifle didn't know that it was on the low end of the price continuum because it shot like a high end rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I think the 300 RCM's and 300 SAUM's only downfall is they are so similar to the 300 WSM and there is alot more factory support for the WSM. There are alot of calibers that are great calibers but they never got very popular because they were to similar to something else that was already popular. The 25, 30 and 32 Remington are every bit as good and better in some ways then the 25-35, 30-30 and 32 Win SP they were designed to compete with but the Win's were already popular and the Rem's never got very far. If you are happy with the factory ammo you can get or want to reload the RCM and SAUM are every bit as good as the WSM.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Musket Man,

I agree. And I think that the .35 Rem might have slipped your mind. As pedestrian a cartridge might be, the .35 Rem does work as intended.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    Musket Man,

I agree. And I think that the .35 Rem might have slipped your mind. As pedestrian a cartridge might be, the .35 Rem does work as intended.

No it didnt slip my mind. I mentioned those because they are nearly identical other then the Win's are rimmed and the Rem's are not. The 35 Rem has a different parent case and was pretty successful. There also wasnt a nearly identical cartridge to compete with it when it was introduced, which was the comparison I was making to the 3 300's.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi Musket Man,

That makes perfect sense. I didn't categorize your listed cartridges by rim. Once you've pointed it out to me, it fell right in to place.

Thanks,

SS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SansSouci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is kinda interesting that the 6.8 SPC is based on the 30 Rem case, shortened and necked down to 277. The next AR I build is going to be a 6.8. Part of why I chose it is because its based on the 30 Rem and Im kind of a 270 fan! I have a 32 Rem in a Rem 14A pump action. I have never shot it much since ammo was so expensive but now that I have started reloading I will be shooting it more.
    Keystone 1, Over!