Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best mobile antelope decoy?

Going to try spot and stalk antelope again this fall. What is the favorite decoy for being mobile and trying to lure in a goat? I know the Montana decoy is a good one, just wanted to see if there were some other recommended brands to look at before I bought one of those.

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    In my opinion, the Mel Dutton antelope decoy was the best ever made. It's too bad he quit making them. You can sometimes find one on ebay or random classifieds on the internet. If you find one, snatch it up quick, because I'd bet it will be a while before you find another one for sale.
    Adam Bender

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    In my opinion, the Mel Dutton antelope decoy was the best ever made. It's too bad he quit making them. You can sometimes find one on ebay or random classifieds on the internet. If you find one, snatch it up quick, because I'd bet it will be a while before you find another one for sale.
    Guys:

I had the same problem about two years ago when I started archery antelope hunting. I looked all over for a Mel Dutton, but like Adam said, you can't find them anymore. I know a guy that knew Mel and he also believed they were the best made. At first, I tried the Montana silhouette decoy, but didn't like the way it moved in the wind (I hunt in SD...there is ALWAYS wind...ha).

About that time, I found that Flambeau came out with their version of the Mel Dutton called the "CommAndelope™". I have one of these and we have called in several bucks in the past 2 years (tagged one and missed one). I would strongly recommend it. I looks very realistic from mid-to-far ranges. Its not even bad up close, really. It can be setup or taken down very quickly (maybe 10 secs). It is light and probably could fit in a larger size pack (or strapped to the outside of), but its carry handle makes it really easy to "carry like a briefcase". I can't remember what I paid for it or where I bought it, but it was reasonably priced I felt. You can see what it looks like on Flambeau's website (scroll to bottom):

http://www.decoys.com/big_game/dcoy_...e.asp#antelope

Also, I recently bought a couple Carry-Lite antelope decoys. I don't really consider these "mobile", per se, but they could be mobile enough to take them down and carry them on your back and go a mile or two to a blind setup. I bought them with the intent of using them around a ground blind setup when I am not being aggressive and going to the antelope with the CommAndelope (depends on time of year and maybe even time of day). Also, it didn't hurt that I got each of them new from Cabela's for $60 as they were discontinued for the new model (old model was $160). Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!
    Last edited by wby4life; 04-22-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone have any experience with this one -

http://www.challengerdecoys.com/

Inflatable, so its lightweight and looks realistic. My main concern is that to decoy effectively it helps to try and sneak to 150 yards or so then throw the decoy up, get inside the comfort zone first, similar to calling turkeys or elk. Not sure you could do that with this decoy since it is so large when inflated and it seems impractical to be inflating and deflating it.

I may just make some out of thin plywood. The renzos are too tiny to hide behind and can be a little flimsy. I havent' hunted the montana, but the reviews I have read say they can be like hanging onto a kite in any kind of wind. And wind is a guarantee in antelope country most of the time.

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Doe Nob,
    Making your own is certainly an option. Here's the one I made, as I couldn't find any Mel Duttons and I wanted something close.

Had a photo of an antelope blown up (as close to real life as I could get without having specific measurements) on a professional sign printer. Cut it out and then used some spray adhesive to glue it to two sheets of foam core board. Then I used the big paint sticks you can get from the hardware store to brace the whole back of it (prevent it from collapsing or breaking). Then tied in two straps, much like how you'd carry a shield and voila. A lightweight, sturdy decoy that looks like like the real thing.

Just a thought. Works well for me.
    Adam Bender

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought about doing the same thing with a cow decoy (moo cow). Anybody had any success with that angle? I think the Montana cow would be tough to walk with, but I like the concept (less intrusive?) The Renzo decoy material is available in 4x8 sheets and could be made to fold the same way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used the Moo cow and and Montana Decoy buck, but if your archery hunting and want a hands free approach take a look at
    http://bethedecoy.com/

Looks funny at first, but it works. shot mine at 25 yards. I'm a believer now.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayts View Post

You wouldnt catch me anywhere in the field with that thing on. I dont care if its archery season and on private land. My life is more valuable then trying to harvest a pronghorn with that thing.
    Monte Miles
    Beyond Addiction Adventures
    www.beyondaddictionadventures.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    You wouldnt catch me anywhere in the field with that thing on. I dont care if its archery season and on private land. My life is more valuable then trying to harvest a pronghorn with that thing.
    Not any different than hidding behind a decoy with a real animal print on the front. I'm more worried about getting ran over by a speedgoat than being shot at.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks