Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    You wouldnt catch me anywhere in the field with that thing on. I dont care if its archery season and on private land. My life is more valuable then trying to harvest a pronghorn with that thing.
    Not any different than hidding behind a decoy with a real animal print on the front. I'm more worried about getting ran over by a speedgoat than being shot at.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringmusic View Post
    Not any different than hidding behind a decoy with a real animal print on the front. I'm more worried about getting ran over by a speedgoat than being shot at.
    To each his own. A little easier/faster to put down a decoy rather then strip down from that outfit. If it works for you and you are not worried about the nuttz driving around, then more power to you. I have no doubt the outfit works but I do have doubt of the safety. And that is enough for me to look else where.
    Monte Miles
    Beyond Addiction Adventures
    www.beyondaddictionadventures.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am looking hard at the Moo cow from the link above - http://outfoxedproducts.com/zebu.htm - I have never used decoys before, so can anyone tell me what the antelope do when you start walking toward them with one of these things?
    Hunting Antelpoe is my all time favorite hunt. My goal is to stick a nice buck with an arrow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    In my opinion, the Mel Dutton antelope decoy was the best ever made. It's too bad he quit making them. You can sometimes find one on ebay or random classifieds on the internet. If you find one, snatch it up quick, because I'd bet it will be a while before you find another one for sale.
    Guys:

I had the same problem about two years ago when I started archery antelope hunting. I looked all over for a Mel Dutton, but like Adam said, you can't find them anymore. I know a guy that knew Mel and he also believed they were the best made. At first, I tried the Montana silhouette decoy, but didn't like the way it moved in the wind (I hunt in SD...there is ALWAYS wind...ha).

About that time, I found that Flambeau came out with their version of the Mel Dutton called the "CommAndelope™". I have one of these and we have called in several bucks in the past 2 years (tagged one and missed one). I would strongly recommend it. I looks very realistic from mid-to-far ranges. Its not even bad up close, really. It can be setup or taken down very quickly (maybe 10 secs). It is light and probably could fit in a larger size pack (or strapped to the outside of), but its carry handle makes it really easy to "carry like a briefcase". I can't remember what I paid for it or where I bought it, but it was reasonably priced I felt. You can see what it looks like on Flambeau's website (scroll to bottom):

http://www.decoys.com/big_game/dcoy_...e.asp#antelope

Also, I recently bought a couple Carry-Lite antelope decoys. I don't really consider these "mobile", per se, but they could be mobile enough to take them down and carry them on your back and go a mile or two to a blind setup. I bought them with the intent of using them around a ground blind setup when I am not being aggressive and going to the antelope with the CommAndelope (depends on time of year and maybe even time of day). Also, it didn't hurt that I got each of them new from Cabela's for $60 as they were discontinued for the new model (old model was $160). Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!
    Last edited by wby4life; 04-22-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have you seen/tried the Be the Decoy from speedgoat hats? http://bethedecoy.com/ i am in the testimonials with my brother.. it works when the rut is on they come running

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFrogs View Post
    Have you seen/tried the Be the Decoy from speedgoat hats? http://bethedecoy.com/ i am in the testimonials with my brother.. it works when the rut is on they come running
    How did it work for you before the rut? Worked better for me before and after the rut. The bucks were less aggressive, and more calm.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringmusic View Post
    How did it work for you before the rut? Worked better for me before and after the rut. The bucks were less aggressive, and more calm.
    How do you keep from laughing when using it? I think I'd be out there giggling like a school girl.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    To each his own. A little easier/faster to put down a decoy rather then strip down from that outfit. If it works for you and you are not worried about the nuttz driving around, then more power to you. I have no doubt the outfit works but I do have doubt of the safety. And that is enough for me to look else where.
    Isn't it just a hat? I figure it would come off easy enough if anyone was around. Partially for safety and partially to keep people from thinking I had gone loony.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dito View Post
    How do you keep from laughing when using it? I think I'd be out there giggling like a school girl.
    The first time I used it, this group of antelope came walking right towards us. My friend and I were out in the open, so I didn't think it would work, but they just started coming to us. I keep saying "you have to be kidding me" over and over. I was laughing with surprise.

http://youtu.be/Im9GOJG8voM
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How do you guys use decoys in a ground blind setup. Dad bought a full body buck from Flambeau last year when they were dirt cheap. However, we cannot figure out how to effectively use it. It is too bulky to really sneak within effective charge distance. So I am guessing it should primarily be used for ground blind setups.

Also what are some good tips on decoying. I have a large ranch to hunt with tons of goats on it but cannot seem to get in close enough for a bow shot. These goats are super spooky (not sure why we are the only ones with permission and can only archery hunt) so spot and stalk has been dang near impossible. However, I can get within 80-100 yds, just curious how to get those bucks to close in another 40 yards or so in order to stick one.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!