Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes there is a lot of private land, but the game and fish has done a lot to help with this problem, by working with landowners to create hunter management areas, and walk in areas. It also helps to live in the area and get to know a lot of the landowners, most of em don't like elk cuz of the damage they cause. On the other hand we have a couple of billionaire ranchers who don't let u hunt anything and they take there paying hunters onto public land instead of using there own places.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaves View Post
    yes there is a lot of private land, but the game and fish has done a lot to help with this problem, by working with landowners to create hunter management areas, and walk in areas. It also helps to live in the area and get to know a lot of the landowners, most of em don't like elk cuz of the damage they cause. On the other hand we have a couple of billionaire ranchers who don't let u hunt anything and they take there paying hunters onto public land instead of using there own places.
    Good deal. That's part of what I was trying to figure out. I know the hunting is good but I couldn't figure out why the draw odds were so low if there wasn't much public to hunt. I was unaware they had the walk in areas and such.
    See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. ~Colossians 2:8~

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 307Wapiti View Post
    Good deal. That's part of what I was trying to figure out. I know the hunting is good but I couldn't figure out why the draw odds were so low if there wasn't much public to hunt. I was unaware they had the walk in areas and such.
    There actually is quite a bit of public, but its often difficult to get to. In addition the season is very long, often till Jan. 31, and many have some kind of access to a piece of private. The bulls in that unit are large with several every year approaching 400". I think thats the biggest draw for people. They are hoping to catch one of the big boys on public. And finally it is fairly close to the 2 largest cities in WY, Casper and Cheyenne. Its easier for those folks to go there then it is to go to the Snowies, Sierra Madres, or Big Horns. IMHO