Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

2 or 4" fletchings

im sure this has been talked about, but for a fast summary. 2 or 4 inch vanes? I have 4" on mine but seems like with my longer shots the 2" work just a little better. any insight?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I've never used 4" to be honest. All of mine have been the blazer vanes and I've never had any complaints. Supposedly they steer as well as the 4" vane but I haven't tried them side by side. Best thing about them in my opinion is that they are lighter and help a little with FOC. Bad thing is that they are taller and you can have clearance issues with some rests and sights. All in all, I don't see myself switching if that helps any.

PS I practice out to 100 and they steer fine all the way as long as your bow is tuned
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    I have shot both and prefer the 2" vanes. I made the switch years ago because the industry seemed to be shifting that direction. I figured why argue with technology. I find they tune easier and seem to drift a little less in the wind for me. I also never shoot fix blade broad heads for what its worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    im trying to decide if I should switch all mine over to two inch and resight in, being this close to season id hate to mess with it though. finally got bow back where I want it after the dry fire mishap. what you have against the fixed blades? I am going to try the shuttle T's this fall, when I say this fall I mean next week

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    im trying to decide if I should switch all mine over to two inch and resight in, being this close to season id hate to mess with it though. finally got bow back where I want it after the dry fire mishap. what you have against the fixed blades? I am going to try the shuttle T's this fall, when I say this fall I mean next week
    If it was me, I wouldn't mess with your setup if you are happy with it. I usually do my changes during the summer after turkey season. You want to make sure you get everything done right, which means added time... this close to season I tend to rush my changes and may not be happy with what I change. I'd say, now that you have your bow back, work on breaking in your string (if you need to) and get comfortable again...

I've shot muzzy mx3s with blazers and am shooting slick trick standards and grizz tricks this year depending on the species. Blazers steer them just fine with my foc at 11.5%. I will say that I did have to put a pretty aggressive helical on them to be sure they spun the arrow rather than the broadheads
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    I have several reasons I like mechanicals but my top three reasons are;

#1- I can practice all year/season with field points without ever having to change my sights or the tune on the bow. The broad heads I shoot hit exactly the same as my field points. This allows a wider range of targets that also last longer than most broad head targets.

#2- Zero steering from the front in wind. The new low profile fixed blades have very little steering in a side wind but I have none.

#3- I get a slightly larger cutting diameter than most of the slim profile fixed blades on the market.

I can list the cons to using them as well but I have taken over 100 big game animals with expandables and have had zero failures. They work very well for me. If I ever get to the point that I need to shoot a lower poundage bow on elk or moose size game, I may change my tune...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah, I wish Idaho would let us use expandables

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Flex fletch 3.6 vanes steer my slick tricks very well..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I wouldn't go changing things now.
    If you plan on switching over do it after the season unless you have to buy arrows and you have some time to make sure they are performing well.

I have the smaller vanes on a couple of dozen of my new hunting arrows.
    I still have a couple dozen more with 4" that I still shoot when practicing.
    While I like the smaller ones (and all my arrows in the near future will get them), on my equipment they don't make a ton of difference. A little breeze seems to make the most difference.

If anything I get a little better performance on the smaller ones but it serves to keep my form a little more honest when I shoot the larger ones.

And on the other side of the discussion….. I keep thinking about picking up mechanicals for my out of state archery hunt, I just can't bring myself to shoot expandables on elk at 62lbs (knowing that I will shoot out to 60yds). I just feel that the penetration outweighs the field point accuracy.
    Thats just me though
    I won't fault those folks who are shooting heavier poundage and developing more energy.
    Last edited by OregonJim; 08-29-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I used to shoot the short blazer vanes until I went to test fixed blade broadheads at long ranges. The arrows weren't flying very well. Then a guy handed me the same exact arrow with 4 inch helical vanes and that arrow flew exactly like a field tip beyond 60yds. I now will only shoot 4" helicals