Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming 102 limited quota

Well after a day to digest that with only around 7.5% odds i drew a coveted deer tag in area 102. Not only did i draw but i drew as a party permit with family and friends. So we have 6 trophy deer to kill. I have already ordered my custom maps and have planned a couple of scouting trips thus far. I have applied for this tag for 17 years and this was the second time i have drawn. This will be my first attempt at mule deer with a stick and string. The area consists of pine forest, junipers, and tall sagebrush. I could use some advice from some archers who have had similar hunts. Here is a picture of my mom and sister with their deer they got from the unit a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mom-jess-dear.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ssliger...nice! we also drew that area (party of 5), its our 3rd time in the last 8 years. so im guessing that our luck will run out soon with the drawing odds that low. my wife and a friend of mine have gotten good deer, like the ones you posted, but we are still lookin for the BIG BOYS. two years ago we chased a group of 12 bucks for 5 days trying to get shots at 2 of the bucks. these 2 where in the 185-195 class. tall heavy and wide, with well above normal tine length for that area. never did get shots on either one, but my wife took a very nice 27" 4x4 out of the group. it was the 3rd or 4th biggest buck in the group. not sure if the big boys survived the last 2 winters or last season, but if they did, they will be dandy's if they havent started down hill.

3 of us will also be hunting with bows for the first time down there...it will be interesting to say the least. i see your location is laramie, but your pic looks like house in the presidential streets of rock springs. we are all from the RS area, pm me if you are interested scouting trips when you come to town. we spend a lot of time down south during the summer, so im sure i could help out a little....probably wont show you our "honey holes" LOL but i can give you some good advise! ha ha ha.

one piece of advise is to get away from hunters....i.e. get to the places that dont always look like the best places. those two giants we pushed for a week were next to the highway that everyone blew right past trying to get to the "good places". not kidding, everyday we spotted the "2" they were no more than 800yrds off the highway, tucked up in some dry creek bed overhangs. just too many eyes and too wide open to get in for a shot. not one tree, juniper or large buck brush around them, just sagebrush and gullies.

well, good luck and maybe we'll see you this summer.....if not maybe in sept for the archery season. if i can figure out how to post a pick ill post one of my wifes deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    wileywapiti, you would be correct on the presidential streets. I live in Laramie, but was raised on Rock Springs. My family still lives there. So out of the six of us i think i will be the only one hunting with a bow, my uncle uses a crossbow but he drew a bull tag in area 30, so i guess he could try for both. If i have time i will pm you and try a scouting trip. I have to try and fit in a archery antelope hunt somewhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How was unit 102 affected by the winter? Did it experience winter kill like many of the units west and north?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got off the phone with the biologist, he hasn't really been able to get a handle on the winter kill in the area. He said most of the deer spent the winter in northern Colorado and Utah. But he does not think it was very severe. If anyone in the Rock Springs, Green River area has any more info, I'm listening. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi, I have drawn out for area 102 This year. I have been scouting a couple of times and haven't really turned up anything thats got my attention. Could someone give me some hints or tips. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    Well after a day to digest that with only around 7.5% odds i drew a coveted deer tag in area 102. Not only did i draw but i drew as a party permit with family and friends. So we have 6 trophy deer to kill. I have already ordered my custom maps and have planned a couple of scouting trips thus far. I have applied for this tag for 17 years and this was the second time i have drawn. This will be my first attempt at mule deer with a stick and string. The area consists of pine forest, junipers, and tall sagebrush. I could use some advice from some archers who have had similar hunts. Here is a picture of my mom and sister with their deer they got from the unit a few years ago.
    Those are some dang nice bucks to be proud of !
    I hope you kill one bigger this year. We'll be waiting for pictures...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerOutdoors View Post
    Hi, I have drawn out for area 102 This year. I have been scouting a couple of times and haven't really turned up anything thats got my attention. Could someone give me some hints or tips. Thanks
    for a small fee of free beer ill take you to several pigs.....ha ha good luck stay away from the crowds and find the out-of-normal places to find the big ones. been down several times this year lookin for elk, there are some good ones this year.