Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I have seen that video before, pretty cool. I think that is an estrus buzz, could be wrong. That bull was after her pretty hard. Thanks for sharing the vid.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Yes, That video Clip was the Estrus Buzz, it was not an attempt at bugling at all. The sound is used when they are in search of the group, in this case the young cow heard an elk or group the hunter was imitating & this cow could not locate these elk & so was asking for their where abouts. It is not a breeding sound. This sound can be heard anytime of the year!

Wolf, no I don't have a magic method to force a cow into bugling! (grin) Like yourself I too enjoy hearing all the different sounds elk make & putting an identity to them, this helps a ton in hunting situations!

I will say cows will be bugle for the same reasons a bull would bugle to keep in contact with his present herd or harem. This bugling used by cows as bulls is recognized by the group members & instills this in them as they congregate with other herds or are getting too far away & cannot not be seen by the dominant cow. It can give direction & too will show the others of the group where the others are. Several cows can bugle at the same time yet be different enough that their sound is unique that it is known in an instant by those cows of each separate group. As pre-rut & peak-rut come into play this role is now taken over by the present herd bull. Hence, you will rarely see a cow bugle during these phases, it's generally done by the cows outside of rutting times!

ElkNut1

Thanks
    Wish I was there. Still have snow around 5500ft here. Can't get into any of my high country homes.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Well they have kept at it every night, about keeping me from sleeping last night. Got within 50 yards of them during light, and it was indefinitely the bulls making the bugles. Cows were talking constantly, but the bugles were coming from the bulls. I have been around elk talk plenty, just never seen bulls act this fired up in june

Thanks
    I've seen them get prett active early in the year before. Only difference is they aren't screaming mad as I like to call it..lol.. I've only ever seen cows bugle twice. Had I not seen it ith my eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. Funny how many people look at me and say ur crazy when I tell em a cow will bugle. Great thread.

Thanks
    Today I was going up Southfork rd into Yellowpine to do some work. Stopped to pay the columbian rent and had an elk bark at me!! lol.
    Caught me off guard really. So I took some time to find it. Was a cow elk, and so I tried a variety of calls at her. She called, whined, and barked a few different sounding calls back at me, and eventually walked off over the ridge.

Was fun just playing the talking game.
    I hunt because........

Thanks
    Thats wild about the cow elk bugling, never occurred to me
    That's why they call it hunting, not killing