Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unit 73 wyoming

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool unit 73 wyoming

I drew unit 73 this will be my first time hunting outwest. I picked this unit because I wanted a unit close to my Muley picks. Turns out I drew unit 34 for deer, now I can spend more time hunting instead traveling to 2 different locations.
    I'm super excited to head that way come october. I researched for 3 yrs using EHJ & EBHJ and various forums. I got good and bad reviews for both animals in this unit, but will give 110% effort to make it a success ! We plan to arrive around october 14 hope there will be some antelope left by then.
    If anyone wants to share any info good or bad, or has recomendations for a first-timer. I would love to hear em and will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chip

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have seen some big bucks there. Ton of antelope. Good luck finding anything of any size. You will see a million different bucks that look alike. 12-13 inches. Good bases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congrats. A buddy and I were trying to plan and head out in 2012 for our first out west hunt but with 1 year old twins at home money is tight, plus the after hearing about all the winter kill this year I think we are going to put it off until 2013 and just buy points for an extra year. Let me know how it goes. I would love to hear any tips to make a first time hunt easier.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here some insight on that area, 1-2 feet of packed snow all winter long from about the metropolis of natrona, and east, so in other words the winter was really hard that way, personally I would stick with the I-25 side of that area for both. Alot of stuff got stressed pretty good this year. Grew up in Wyoming my whole life and 73 has gone downhill now for about 7 years or more. I think the best area in the state for big bucks is 72 just more private.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info I was was thinking of starting in the NE corner for antelope then heading south till I find what i'm looking for. Is the southern border around powder river to hells half acre a good place to look. I won't get out there till around oct 13 so I hope they won't be to hard to find by then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The problem with the SW border in that hells half acre region is that alot of residents, and nons beat it up pretty good. And I wrote on another guys answer about the hard winter, I dont care what others say, they had a rough time out there 1-2 feet of hard iced over snow. No good. I live in those areas, and grewn up in them. You will find antelope just about anywhere, just depends on how picky you are, as long as you hold out 72-77 inch is not hard to find, you start talking 78+ and you getting into an area where those are few and far between. The NE corner has been producing good bucks. What you will find bud is that most everbody resident, and non will hit the bucknum road run it aroun the 33 mile country ( the border basically) run it clear to waltman, or hit the powder river road and run it to Arminto. Personally if you avoid these tendacies I think you will be fine. Now you said you had a 34 tag, If I was you I would go to that hell half acre country and get back in thos canyon hills and walk the north who know what you will find, most people dont walk any more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    justinthedoc,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your time and info I'm open to any and all suggestions they are all greatly appreciated . Thanks, Chip

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Chip it all depends on what type of hunter you are man. Lots of guys shoot them like prarie dogs (right out the window) and some make it a hunt (not very many) you will have no problem getting a goat dont worry about that. I love hunting antelope have 3 consecutive B&C bucks on the wall just have crap luck drawing. Goats just put your time in, unfortunatly your going to have prioritize to your hunt being the freking deer season is 7 days. The antelope if your looking just to bag a descent buck head towrds either place I have mentioned one other tid bit that time of year your coming, the antelope are very skiddish of any motorized vehicle hence what I said at the beggining. Oh and there are a few WIA by the halls half acre country, and I used to see some good buck over by burlington reservoir off to the NE might be worth checking out for a goat the one I saw last year I would have dropped in a heart beat.
    Last edited by justinthedoc; 07-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I drew a tag for 73 also. Haven't been through that area for about 15 years. I was planning on hunting the first week of Oct. Anyone know a good place to stay in Casper?